Taking Courses at a Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GooBrown

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it ok if i take orgo at a community college?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it ok if i take orgo at a community college?

Most dental schools strongly discourage students from taking pre-reqs at a CC and a couple of schools won't take CC credit. But...there are people who have been accepted who took some/all pre-reqs at a CC. It depends on your reason and the views of the dental schools where you will apply. It wouldn't be wise to take 12 hours at a university while also taking organic at at CC. Are you strapped for cash/university is a 2 hour drive from your home/some other plausible reason? Get an A in organic along with a high score in organic on the DAT and you'll probably be fine. The safest route is taking it at a university.

Yea i already graduated ,earned my degree and cant afford the $2000 per course. And i only have orgo 1 and 2 to take. The CC is closer to my job also.

Adcoms are human like us and most of them are practicing professionals. Place yourself in an admission officer's shoes:

Adcoms worked hard for their grades in order to get into dental/medical/pharmacy school. They bleed, and sweat for their grades. It's only natural for one to "believe" that their institution is harder/challenging compared to other universities. It's called sizing another one up and partially stems from our experiences going through the rigorous process.

Now imagine you are reviewing a STUDENT A files, and you see they completed everything at a "reputable" "recognized" institution. The individual will tend to feel that student A is on par with them. They bled and sweat the same as the adcom did when they were in school and therefore, they are on equal level. Student A will probably get an interview granted his package is alright.

Now imagine you are reviewing STUDENT B files, and you see they complete most of the "hard" courses at a CC (now there might be extenuating circumstances etc- but forget about that). The individual will tend to feel that STUDENT B isn't on "par" with them. They didn't bleed and sweat the same as the adcom did when he was in school. Student B might or might not get an interview.

I'm not advocating that "reputations matter!" (because in all seriousness it doesn't have that much of an effect). However, first impressions MATTER, and hey what else to judge someone first by their gpa,dat, and institution?

TDLR: If you can't take Orgo at a "university," I would do it at a CC; however, in the future try taking courses at the "university" level.

Last edited:
My understanding is that dental admissions were not as competitive 15+ years ago. So I feel like you're assuming too much that they agonized over every grade the way predents do now. If they are truely human as you suggest - maybe they would understand the financial reality of education and not knock someone who received a good education then continued some courses at CC - which except for a few instances is just as good as most state schools in terms of real learning.

My understanding is that dental admissions were not as competitive 15+ years ago. So I feel like you're assuming too much that they agonized over every grade the way predents do now. If they are truely human as you suggest - maybe they would understand the financial reality of education and not knock someone who received a good education then continued some courses at CC - which except for a few instances is just as good as most state schools in terms of real learning.

Yes I agree, but it's undeniable that there is a "stigma/stereotype" associated with cc's. And for that reason, humans tend to judge accordingly.

And no I'm not "knocking" someone who received a good education then continued courses at CC- I'm just giving the reality of judgement accordingly to the stigma. Now it may not be that LARGE of an impact,(depending on who reviews/the University etc) but there is a reason why schools prefer students to take pre-reqs/upper div at "universities." Partially from that stigma/stereotype associated with...cc's.

I'm not saying its a bad thing, but its something to be aware of. And for that reason, yeah it's a-ok to take pre reqs at a CC but do try to do majority/some coursework at "university" level in order to see "eye to eye/level" with the university/adcom. After all- it could ONLY improve your chances at admission =)

I do agree w/ you I guess. In terms of perception if you do prereqs at a CC it seems important to get a high GPA at a university taking upper level sciences and get a high dat score. Some schools will also not accept your application because of the cc as well.

Some schools don't accept pre-reqs from a CC. I did two years at a CC and about half of my perquisites there. I don't believe it's had an impact on my application. It was never even brought up in my interviews. The only reason I'd think to shy away, is if the schools you want to go schools that don't accept CC credits. Keep in mind, these are few.

Generalizations are not cool, but they are part of reality. Science courses at my CC were much more harder than at my university.

I'm wondering though, if you didn't take O-chem for your degree, did you not take any upper division science classes? Dental schools like to see that, though not required for the most part.

Some schools don't accept pre-reqs from a CC. I did two years at a CC and about half of my perquisites there. I don't believe it's had an impact on my application. It was never even brought up in my interviews. The only reason I'd think to shy away, is if the schools you want to go schools that don't accept CC credits. Keep in mind, these are few.

Generalizations are not cool, but they are part of reality. Science courses at my CC were much more harder than at my university.

I'm wondering though, if you didn't take O-chem for your degree, did you not take any upper division science classes? Dental schools like to see that, though not required for the most part.

I can say this true. Science courses at CC are much harder. Often lots of times they only have one bad teacher who doesn't give out A s and all students have no choice but to face this hell. I'm hoping to do my orgo II in a University or if possible both Orgo I and II in a university. Microbiology teachers here at my CC are so disorganized but who will care when looking at your application? They only judge your grade. Adcoms shouldn't judge by where you take your pre-requisites imo.

I've spoken with many physicians and dentists who feel fortunate to not be applying in todays enviroment. I can imagine 15 years from now pods will be joking about how back in the day they could take either the MCAT or DAT and be accepted. I dont think I overstated by point that things are more competitive today than in the past - not as easy to just waltz in though. I agree.

Right- 15 years ago you could just waltz into a ds of your choice and get admitted.
______

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527335

I've spoken with many physicians and dentists who feel fortunate to not be applying in todays enviroment. I can imagine 15 years from now pods will be joking about how back in the day they could take either the MCAT or DAT and be accepted. I dont think I overstated by point that things are more competitive today than in the past - not as easy to just waltz in though. I agree.

Agreed. I respect dentists that got in 10-15 years ago but I don't think that it was as competitive as it is now. The academic standard for accepted students currently rivals medical schools with average GPAs between 3.5 and 3.6. That couldn't be said 10-15 years ago.

Agreed. I respect dentists that got in 10-15 years ago but I don't think that it was as competitive as it is now. The academic standard for accepted students currently rivals medical schools with average GPAs between 3.5 and 3.6. That couldn't be said 10-15 years ago.

Heck even 7 years ago the requirements were much less:

Case Western:

Fall 2003 Entering Class:
Positions Available: 70
Applicants: 1481
Mean GPA: 3.35
Mean Science GPA: 3.22
Mean DAT Academic Average: 18.12
Mean DAT Perceptual Ability: 18.10

Case Western :

Fall 2010 Entering Class:
Positions Available: 70
Applicants: 3063
Mean GPA: 3.6
Mean Science GPA 3.53
Mean AA: 19
Mean PAT: 20

Bottom line: It's probably a good guess that its tougher today then years ago.

Statistics from ADA and CASE dental website.

While I agree with the idea that it shouldn't matter where you take your sciences, it's not worth dealing with the stigma regarding the lower quality of science classes from a CC vs. a University that does exist when applying to dental school.

It is in your favor to complete as many prerequisite science courses at the 4 year university that you will be transferring to. If I could go back, I would have taken more general ed classes at the CC and saved more of my core sciences for my last 2-3 years at the university.

Luckily I still had orgo to take after transferring, and ended up doing well in both semesters.

Most dental schools strongly discourage students from taking pre-reqs at a CC and a couple of schools won't take CC credit. But...there are people who have been accepted who took some/all pre-reqs at a CC. It depends on your reason and the views of the dental schools where you will apply. It wouldn't be wise to take 12 hours at a university while also taking organic at at CC. Are you strapped for cash/university is a 2 hour drive from your home/some other plausible reason? Get an A in organic along with a high score in organic on the DAT and you'll probably be fine. The safest route is taking it at a university.

Yeah, I agree with the above two posts. If it's only one class, taking it at CC should be fine (I had two years of CC and still got acceptances). It's better if you can take it at a university though. Just realize that it may limit your dental school options if you take it at a CC (for example, you wouldn't be able to apply to Tufts). But there's still more than a dozen schools you could apply to. If the rest of your app is strong, then don't worry.