Taking courses at multiple colleges during same semester.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrFabulasity

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I am a non trad that graduation from a small liberal arts school in 2011. I plan on going the DO route and am started to retake my pre-reqs. Due to being a "non-degree seeking" student I had last pickings with classes. I am currently registered to take three courses at two different colleges. I am registered to take Gen Chem I & Urban Sociology at a local university and Biology I (cells) at a community college. Should I not take classes at the community college? Will taking courses at different universities during the same semester send a red flag to medical school admin when I apply?

TIA!
 
Hi all,

I am a non trad that graduation from a small liberal arts school in 2011. I plan on going the DO route and am started to retake my pre-reqs. Due to being a "non-degree seeking" student I had last pickings with classes. I am currently registered to take three courses at two different colleges. I am registered to take Gen Chem I & Urban Sociology at a local university and Biology I (cells) at a community college. Should I not take classes at the community college? Will taking courses at different universities during the same semester send a red flag to medical school admin when I apply?

TIA!
If you are acing prereqs at a cc, rather than taking them at your home school, it can look like you are shopping for As. Premed a have played these games so often that Adcoms have to assume some scheming. Also a cc is fine if that's the only school around that you can attend, but it looks bad if you are already going to a local university.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you are acing prereqs at a cc, rather than taking them at your home school, it can look like you are shopping for As. Premed a have played these games so often that Adcoms have to assume some scheming. Also a cc is fine if that's the only school around that you can attend, but it looks bad if you are already going to a local university.

Thank you!
I'm pretty much doing a DIY post bacc. Some courses that I need to retake credit hours are less than when I took them at my home institution. For example Genetics is 3 credits at the university and 4 credits at the CC. Should the credit hours be equivalent in order to do "grade replacement"?
 
In regard to your first post, I went to two schools at the same time and it wasn't an issue for me.
 
In regard to your first post, I went to two schools at the same time and it wasn't an issue for me.

Thank you for replying. It's definitely a combination of taking the same amount of credit hours and getting into a course that isn't full.
 
I took classes at the local CC while taking classes at the university for at least two semesters. I got into a decent MD school.
It's definitely better to take all pre-reqs at a 4 year school, but you have to do what you have to do.