Taking DAT Before Orgo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ziggy1104

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am in a situation where I wont be done with the orgo sequence until spring 2015. However, I would like to apply this year for fall 2015 entrance.

What do you think about self-studying through Chad's videos or some other similar form?

Btw, I have taken all the other basic pre-reqs.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't recommend taking the DAT without taking ochem first. I have read about some people taking Ochem1 and then self studying the remaining material. I would at least read Organic Chemistry as a Second Language to get you started. Best of luck

Yeah, that's what I thought. Unfortunately, I wont be taking Ochem1 until this fall and would like to apply this year. Now, say I take the DAT and do poorly on the Ochem section, I could just retake it after I take both Ochems and then re-apply next year, right?

I would look a LOT better if you were to take it once and ace it. Why the rush?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ochem is not hard to self teach. With all these foreign teachers who are impossible to understand nowadays, that's what most of us end up doing while taking the class at a university anyways. I self studied through my ochem course and had no problems. Just go buy the Textbook and read the chapters very carefully and do the questions at the end of the chapter. Took me about 3-7 hours per chapter to really understand the information. I also used organic chemistry as a second language to help me out throughout the course. I'm sure watching chads would help along the way also.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Unfortunately, I wont be taking Ochem1 until this fall and would like to apply this year. Now, say I take the DAT and do poorly on the Ochem section, I could just retake it after I take both Ochems and then re-apply next year, right?

You could retake the DAT, but taking it a second time will put added pressure to improve your scores across the board, not just on the ochem portion. You can also submit your application and then take the DAT later in the summer. I think if you were to read through the book I mentioned, watch Chad's videos and go through DAT Destroyer then you could get 20+ on the ochem portion. It's possible to self teach yourself, but you will really have to stay motivated.

How about you do this? Take orgo I on the spring, take orgo II 1st part of summer I. Then take your DAT 2nd part of summer 2, that way.. you will have orgo fresh in your mind.

minion, you have a good plan. However, I cannot take org1 this semester bc I am still in gen chem 2. Unless you meant next spring. I am beginning org 1 this fall and graduate spring 2015.

The thing is, I wasn't planning on applying until next year, until I decided, hey, what would it hurt if I just took a shot at it this year. No harm no foul, right? Like I said, I graduate spring 2015 so getting accepted for fall of 15 would be extremely ideal for me. The hurry is that I have a son who I of course need a career to support. Therefore, after he was born, my whole plan changed and now I would just like to make this process as quick (not necessarily easy) as possible.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I like to hear different point of views. I've decided im going to go ahead and self-teach my butt off, then take the DAT this July after bio 2 (taking bio 2 lecture summer C).

I plan on buying organic chem as second language, and possibly organic chem odyssey. Anyone have other recommendations for org chem? I will ask this in the DAT forum as well.