Taking DAT late August--too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miravyn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't taken my DAT. I'm planning on taking it late August and turning in applcation in mid-June. I hear it takes AADSAS around 6-8 months to process your application so I have time in between to take the DAT. Do you think taking the DAT late August is too late? I am panicking a little because I feel like I have nothing...no DAT. I don't even know what schools to apply for since I haven't taken my DAT yet. To be honest, I would only apply to two, UCLA and USC, but it's a little risky to apply to just two schools. My GPA is decent: overall GPA of 3.763 and science of about 3.65 at UCLA (major is Biochem and minor is public health). However, I was a dumb high school student who took several math classes and earned a B and C so that will totally drop my AADSAS GPA. I wish they had told us to not screw up when taking classes at a community college. Also, I have a lot of extracurricular activities like working at a dental clinic and holding several leadership positions. If I don't get into UCLA or USC, I really do consider waiting another year. I don't want to go out of state or even up north. For people who have gotten in UCLA, do I stand a chance. Not having a DAT scores is really making me nervous.

Members don't see this ad.

miravyn said:
I haven't taken my DAT. I'm planning on taking it late August and turning in applcation in mid-June. I hear it takes AADSAS around 6-8 months to process your application so I have time in between to take the DAT. Do you think taking the DAT late August is too late? I am panicking a little because I feel like I have nothing...no DAT. I don't even know what schools to apply for since I haven't taken my DAT yet. To be honest, I would only apply to two, UCLA and USC, but it's a little risky to apply to just two schools. My GPA is decent: overall GPA of 3.763 and science of about 3.65 at UCLA (major is Biochem and minor is public health). However, I was a dumb high school student who took several math classes and earned a B and C so that will totally drop my AADSAS GPA. I wish they had told us to not screw up when taking classes at a community college. Also, I have a lot of extracurricular activities like working at a dental clinic and holding several leadership positions. If I don't get into UCLA or USC, I really do consider waiting another year. I don't want to go out of state or even up north. For people who have gotten in UCLA, do I stand a chance. Not having a DAT scores is really making me nervous.

I took my DAT the first of Sept for the 2005 cycle. While I don't know the admissions processes for UCLA, and USC I do know that it hurt my chances at some of the schools I applied to by taking the DAT later in the year. I submitted my application in May this last cycle and because I knew that I was taking my DAT so late, I applied to a range of schools that covered me for however I scored on the DAT. In doing this I had to apply to more schools but I had my bases covered. So I guess it really depends on where your willing to attend d-school. If you for sure want to stay in CA and are willing to sit out for a year if you don't get in, then apply to your two schools. If you want to get in this year no matter where you attend school, then apply to a range of schools with low and high DAT score stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you apply early but take the DAT in August you might be ok. I know that many schools fill up their interview schedules quickly.

u should be fine for most schools not sure about ucla and usc tho

I applied in June and took the DAT middle of August. I still had Sep/Oct interviews at every school. I only applied to one Cali school, UOP, but the other California applicants were at their first interview (in October) when I was almost done. They had all applied mostly to Cali schools. My impression was they are a little slower in the process.

I would guess you will be fine or inch it up a bit if you can.

miravyn said:
Ok.

no. just do your best and you will be fine.

miravyn said:

I think you will be ok at least for USC since they start late. I have a similar GPA as yours. I sent my app on July 1, took DAT on Aug 18 (got 20/21/19), and got interview invitation from USC on Feb 7. For UCLA, I haven't heard a thing from them since. So, I can't help you there.

yes, taking it late august is too late! you should try to apply earlier than mid june, too.

and if you want to attend UCLA, better score above 21.