Taking DAT without Organic Chem class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mz Shaikh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i hope you are all well. I wanted to know how much organic chemistry does the DAT cover? I am in Chem 122 right now and can't organic chem I until Fall 2006. I can however take principles of organic chem to get a heads up on organic chem I. My question to you is.... will principles of organic chem be enough to take the DAT? or should I take Organic chem I and II before even thinking about taking the DAT? ( i just want to apply May 2006 but that would mean I need to take the DATs by Aug.)

What do u think? ( I am taking Bio I and Trig right now and will take Bio II and , A&P I) enough to apply in May 2006? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Mz Shaikh said:
Hi guys, i hope you are all well. I wanted to know how much organic chemistry does the DAT cover? I am in Chem 122 right now and can't organic chem I until Fall 2006. I can however take principles of organic chem to get a heads up on organic chem I. My question to you is.... will principles of organic chem be enough to take the DAT? or should I take Organic chem I and II before even thinking about taking the DAT? ( i just want to apply May 2006 but that would mean I need to take the DATs by Aug.)

I took the DAT after just taking orgo I and got an 18 on that section. i got an A in the orgo class and then learned as much as i could about org II w/out the class. it was my lowest section on the DAT and i'm actually thinking of retaking b/c of my org score. i would say be patient and at least take org I.

Mz Shaikh said:

What do u think? ( I am taking Bio I and Trig right now and will take Bio II and , A&P I) enough to apply in May 2006? Thank you

You could put in a search for organic chemistry flashcards online. THe best one is from Ohio State. It covers many reactions from organic 1 and 2. You might be able to get a 17 or 18 just by studying those. Get some worksheets about SN1 vs SN2 and E1 vs E2 . I took the DAT before I finished organic II and got a 21 on it without studying much. Can't say the same for the other sections... hope this helps some. If you are serious about taking it, I highly recommend two books. The first one is a must. THe other one will allow you to self-teach some rxn mechanisms. David Klein wrote a book titled Organic Chemistry as a second Language and the second one is by Weeks, and its titledPushing Electrons. Any edition will do. You can find these on ebay or amazon.com anytime. THese books are the ****!

Orgo on the DAT is easy and basic. I took it without Orgo II and got a 24 on the section just from memorizing the stuff in the Kaplan book.

Mike

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the DAT right after finishing two semesters of organic chemistry and as a result I didn't really even need to study the Kaplan stuff. I did look over it and it seemed pretty good, but I wouldn't recommend taking the DAT without having both semesters of organic. If you really have to apply by next may, then work hard studying and you'll be fine.

Mz Shaikh said:

I personally think Kaplan organic does a good job in covering the material. I goofed off in orgo 1 and 2 and got 2 C's. However, I still pulled a 21 in orgo on the real exam. I think organic chemistry was the easiest part of the natural sciences on the DAT. I studied for biology a lot more than either chemistry or organic chemistry, because biology you either know it or you dont. For Organic chem and general chem, you can basically solve any problem if you know the basic concepts.

Hope this helps,
Rich