Taking Intro Level Classes Senior Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDappGoesWild

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to take a few intro 1000 level bio classes (ex: evolutionary bio, ecology etc.) due to my biology major requirements.

I was wondering if this would reflect poorly since I'm a senior and have already taken many upper level bio classes. I don't want this to look like GPA padding and was wondering if I should explain this situation on my application?

ALSO

Would a relatively lax senior year courseload hurt me? (17 credits of primarily intro level sciences). Or should I throw some upper level bio classes in as well (which would push me to 20+ credits).

Members don't see this ad.

I did this, on the unlikely chance it is asked about, explain they were your remaining degree courses

Reactions: 1 user
I have to take a few intro 1000 level bio classes (ex: evolutionary bio, ecology etc.) due to my biology major requirements.

I was wondering if this would reflect poorly since I'm a senior and have already taken many upper level bio classes. I don't want this to look like GPA padding and was wondering if I should explain this situation on my application?

ALSO

Would a relatively lax senior year courseload hurt me? (17 credits of primarily intro level sciences). Or should I throw some upper level bio classes in as well (which would push me to 20+ credits).
No one will argue that you shouldn't be taking classes for your major that are required to graduate. Don't explain unless asked.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had plenty of core requirements that weren't completed until senior year. It happens

No one will argue that you shouldn't be taking classes for your major that are required to graduate. Don't explain unless asked.

I guess my concern is, I won't be taking any upper level classes then. My schedule will look like:

BIO 140 Intro Evolutionary biology (4 credits)
BIO 160 Intro Ecology (3 credits)
BIO 260 Genetics Lab (2 credits)
STAT 320 Applied Statistics (4)
Research credits (4)

Total: 17 credits

Do you think this is ok? It's on par credit-wise with what I've done the past 3 years except for the fact the classes are all low level.

I guess my concern is, I won't be taking any upper level classes then. My schedule will look like:

BIO 140 Intro Evolutionary biology (4 credits)
BIO 160 Intro Ecology (3 credits)
BIO 260 Genetics Lab (2 credits)
STAT 320 Applied Statistics (4)
Research credits (4)

Total: 17 credits

Do you think this is ok? It's on par credit-wise with what I've done the past 3 years except for the fact the classes are all low level.
I think it's fine. And I agree with @gonnif that you shouldn't add an upper-level course, on top of the 17 credit hours, and potentially endanger your GPA. And "all" the classes aren't lower-level, just two of the BIO classes.

At least in my experience upper level doesn't mean any more difficult. Everyone has some terms that are easier, harder based on personal schedules, when classes are offered, etc. I don't think anyone's judging. I think you're fine.