Step II Taking level II during third year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

raspberry12

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe the general consensus is IM comats/shelf is most helpful/close to level II. Has anyone taken it right after IM? Or after IM/OB/peds/FM? I have these rotations in the first half of the year and am considering aiming to take the exam by winter break. I also have a board prep month right after IM. I encountered test anxiety while prepping/taking level 1 so still having some level 1 knowledge fresh, getting it done early and not taking it with everyone else seems kind of delightful. I have been doing UW blocks for the past two weeks (avg-50-55) and have some extra time currently before june
 
I believe the general consensus is IM comats/shelf is most helpful/close to level II. Has anyone taken it right after IM? Or after IM/OB/peds/FM? I have these rotations in the first half of the year and am considering aiming to take the exam by winter break. I also have a board prep month right after IM. I encountered test anxiety while prepping/taking level 1 so still having some level 1 knowledge fresh, getting it done early and not taking it with everyone else seems kind of delightful. I have been doing UW blocks for the past two weeks (avg-50-55) and have some extra time currently before june

If your only goal is to pass, & you aren't shooting for a specific score, I think you might be able to pull it off. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it. You need the foundational peds, surgery, ob/gyn, & FM in order to do well.

I'd take a practice exam or something ahead of time to make sure though; failing would not be in anyone's best interest, especially since most people perform better on Level 2.