Taking Mcat before Completing ORGO II??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stversko

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wont be finished with orgo II until end of my junior year, however all my other pre-reqs will be completed 1st semester of my junior year.

I would like to get my application completed as early as possible preferably early june of my junior year.

My questions is, is it typical to take the mcat without completely finishing one pre-req requirement? how severely could this hurt me on the exam?

also based on my schedule when would you recoomend i take the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I wont be finished with orgo II until end of my junior year, however all my other pre-reqs will be completed 1st semester of my junior year.

I would like to get my application completed as early as possible preferably early june of my junior year.

My questions is, is it typical to take the mcat without completely finishing one pre-req requirement? how severely could this hurt me on the exam?

Hey - You're in luck. Based on previous exams, Orgo is very limited in the MCAT, maybe a third in its section. And most of it is Orgo I stuff. The other stuff that is from Orgo II, you will be able to teach yourself.

well, just as an FYI, I took my MCAT in April 2006 and it had advanced O-Chem II level material on it.
So did my Kaplan practice tests.

I find that most of the stuff is from orgo II.

Ex: Ketones, Aldehyes, Carboxylic acids, esters NMR, IR, Grignard reagents...

That is just my impression

Members don't see this ad :)
It should be possible to learn what you need to know from the prep books b/c Orgo is a very small part of the test. On the old paper and pencil tests, only 20-30% of the questions on the Bio section were on Orgo (so that's less than 1/9th of the entire test). I don't know if the ratio has changed on the new CBT. That being said, I personally didn't spend too much time studying Orgo b/c of this and I probably ended up hemorrhaging some unnecessary points on the exam.

I took the MCAT this August (before my junior year) and I didn't have orgo2, biochem, cell biology, so in know its possible. I'm not a genius by any means and I got a 9 on the biology section. My Orgo 2 class definitely helped me because i didn't even have a good knowledge of aldehydes, ketones, carbohydrates. So, if your good with Orgo then you can probably teach it to yourself, otherwise, from my experience i'd say hold off until you get all your pre reqs. I'm hoping that my not having some of those classes are the reason I didn't do so hot on the one in August....guess we'll see next week.

There is barely an organic chem on the MCAT now...but the organic on it is usually organic II stuff.

Take the April MCAT, you'll be almost done with Orgo II. You'll get your scores in time to apply early.

I took the Mcat without Orgo2 or Physics2 and got 11 in PS and 10 in BS. I did well during the first semester though so i didn't have too much trouble studying on my own. I do think I would have done better if I had waited, but I'm happy with a 32.