Taking MCAT in spring...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOLDenKatie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already applied for the class of 2015 but I still need to take the MCAT. I'm planning on taking an MCAT course, the only problem is that it doesn't finish until April 12 so I won't be able to take the mcat in March. I was wondering if it would be too late to take the MCAT in April (either the 9th or 16th)? my scores wouldn't be released until May 10
Do schools receive scores right when they are released?
I applied to Scholl, Temple, OCPM, NYCPM
Would I still have a chance for scholarship money?
I really want to get a good mcat score so I have a chance at scholarships, my Science gpa is 3.0 and 3.3 nonscience

Members don't see this ad.

I already applied for the class of 2015 but I still need to take the MCAT. I'm planning on taking an MCAT course, the only problem is that it doesn't finish until April 12 so I won't be able to take the mcat in March. I was wondering if it would be too late to take the MCAT in April (either the 9th or 16th)? my scores wouldn't be released until May 10
I really want to get a good mcat score so I have a chance at scholarships, my Science gpa is 3.0 and 3.3 nonscience

The schools you applied to are all big schools and shouldnt be full by the time your MCAT score is released.

For scholarships... yes you need a good MCAT score especially that late. If you can study on your own and get a good MCAT score and get it in earlier you have a higher chance of a better scholarship. But that is up to you to decide between those options.

It takes a month to release the score. Maybe another week or two for AACPM to post the scores and then a couple weeks to get interviews (as in be in the hot seat at the school). I believe applications given "first priority" are before april something. I dont really know what "first priority" means though because people get in up until late july... maybe scholarship money.

Good luck and study hard for that exam!

For all the previous mcat takers... I want to sign up for the March 26th mcat and I have already been studying for 2 weeks. The only problem is I took the free AAMC test and got an embarrassing 15:3,7-vr,5-bio. That was without any studying. So, I have Kaplan review books, the EK complete study package along with 1001 Q's in physics and bio. I started the EK 10 week home study but I am trying to condense into 5-6 weeks since they only require 2-3 hours per night with the 10 week schedule. I have been studying 5-6 hours everyday. I also plan on taking and reviewing all the AAMC tests the last 4-5 weeks.
I've taken all prereq's within the last 2 years. My goal is to get a 24-25, so do you think 10 weeks is enough time to increase my score from a 15 to atleast a 24? I have a 3.3 cum gpa and 2.9 science and I really want to go to Temple and their avg mcat is a 23 so I feel like i need to get atleast a 23.
I know these types of threads come up alot but I appreciate any advice, I don't want to waste money or take it again!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For all the previous mcat takers... I want to sign up for the March 26th mcat and I have already been studying for 2 weeks. The only problem is I took the free AAMC test and got an embarrassing 15:3,7-vr,5-bio. That was without any studying. So, I have Kaplan review books, the EK complete study package along with 1001 Q's in physics and bio. I started the EK 10 week home study but I am trying to condense into 5-6 weeks since they only require 2-3 hours per night with the 10 week schedule. I have been studying 5-6 hours everyday. I also plan on taking and reviewing all the AAMC tests the last 4-5 weeks.
I've taken all prereq's within the last 2 years. My goal is to get a 24-25, so do you think 10 weeks is enough time to increase my score from a 15 to atleast a 24? I have a 3.3 cum gpa and 2.9 science and I really want to go to Temple and their avg mcat is a 23 so I feel like i need to get atleast a 23.
I know these types of threads come up alot but I appreciate any advice, I don't want to waste money or take it again!

You know it is different for every person.

i am taking mine in a week. on the 29th... yikes!

i have been studying for four months every day... BUT .. and this is a huge BUT... i have been out of undergrad for 2 years. I took chem and physics 5 years ago.. maybe even 6.... so i had to teach myself these courses from scratch.

The highest I have scored so far on a practice test was a 27. My score usually hovers between 21-27... I am trying to bring it up to 27-30 and I am close to doing so but dont know if i will get there by test day. physical sciences is killing me...

IMHO the best thing i did is get the ek verbal 101 book and do timed verbal passages every day. my verbal has been a constant 9. i want to bring it up to a 10 or 11... which is doable... just gotta get my timing better... in one week ! ahh!!!

Thanks emericana! Good Luck this week! I'm sure you'll do fine. I am just getting really miserable because I am using the EK content review and the 30 minute exams are going terrible for me so I hope they are supposed be more challenging than the real thing. I think I will stick to the 10 week schedule and just practice and see where I am in a few weeks.
Anyone else?

I think you have a shot, especially at NYCPM. Also, if anything, if could apply to their spring class.