Taking MCAT right after PR course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tmandudeguy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello there,
I am taking a 3 month PR course this summer and my MCAT date is 2 days after my course ends. Heres the reasoning, the next dates are when my fall semester for college starts. So I dont know if its worth taking a few weeks to review if it conflicts with school life and would get me out of my studying groove of the summer since thats all I will be doing. Is it ok to take the test only 2 days after the course ends? The only reason Im worried is because; I dont know if ONLY after Im done with the course will I have attained all the knowledge to take the MCATS? Therefore I will only have 2 days to review where I will actually have all the knowledge? Is this true? What do you guys think? Wait or go for it?
Thanks
 
I was in the same situation with you.... except my mcat is in Jan.
-I decided to start prepping earlier... which u can't do in your case.

Taking the mcat two days after ur course finishes is risky

You have to stay on top of everything... you have to make sure you learn and understand what you are reading....I have there books right now omg so many pages and try to do as many of the book and online practice.

I know with the PR course your guarantee only works if you do what they say, in the course they want you to take PR mock MCAT.. so where does that leave time for AAMCs?.....well i am guessing you don't plan on taking the course over, so if I were you I wouldn't take any PR mock mcats stick to AAMCs.
 
I found TPR to be inadequate for PS. Please do TBR. For BS, TPR is adequate. No need for TBR for BS.

Mine ended a week before my exam. I TBR'd it hard. 34R.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I found TPR adequate in all sections. It was a bit too detailed for Bio and I preferred EK, but TPR Bio is very nice if you want a more detailed review. TPR Verbal is pretty awful. EK was much better. I personally wouldn't be comfortable taking the MCAT only two days after my course ended, but I also was not keeping up with the material as I had classes to study for. If you think you can keep up, then you migh tnot have any problems taking the MCAT so shortly after your TPR course ends. I would say register for that MCAT and if you find you are not keeping up with the material/won't be ready for the exam, reschedule it.
 
I just finished the same course you're taking about a lil more than a week ago. I planned it out so that I'd have a month before my mcat right after the course, and I'm thankful I did so. You need time after the course to take practice tests and go through drills and all their practice material. The course is only basic review of the sciences and stuff, you really need a month minimum to just practice your test taking.
 
Its so funny that I finally got some reply cause I just figured out what I will be doing TPR has a course with a 1 mth break which I will be switching to.... during the one month break I will get ahead of the class, so that way I finish my content review in Dec. and during the month of jan will be AAMCs.
 
We actually get this question a lot from students. Here is our take on the matter:

We understand that when you embark on your MCAT test prep you are concerned that you will not be ready when the course finishes to sit for your exam immediately, BUT, The Princeton Review's Hyperlearning MCAT program is set for you to succeed on your MCAT from the moment the course is over. Many students make the mistake of actually taking the exam a month or two after the course ends, and that usually leads to disaster because students are not working as hard as they did when they were in the MCAT course. During the program you are constantly learning (content, strategy and techniques), taking full length MCATs and getting your scores analyzed (by you and your teachers) so you actually know how you're scoring throughout the program and can see you steady improvement.

You should have the content knowledge, strategy and techniques to take your MCAT right after the course ends (provided you attended class, did your homework and took your practice exams). So we tell students to go for it. The only time we may tell them to postpone or delay would be with some unfortunate circumstances with either family, work, or in your preparation.

Just make the commitment during your preparation and you will feel more confident and ready for your exam.