Taking MCAT same semester as Biochem and Orgo2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesBond002

Reaction score
As my schedule currently stands, I will be taking orgo 2 and biochem, and then take the April MCAT. Would I be missing large chunks of information because I haven't completely mastered Orgo 2 and Biochem? Also, would it be feasible to take difficult science classes the same semester as the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really speak to feasibility because I haven't exactly been in that situation. What I can say is that taking biochem concurrently with MCAT studying may take some burden off of your biochem MCAT studying? Being strong in biochem is important for doing well on C/P and B/B, so that's a big area where you can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Reactions: 1 user
I would highly recommend against this plan and recommend taking the MCAT later in either June or July. Biochemistry is the single most important class for the MCAT with concepts that permeate all sections except CARS. Biochemistry and Orgo are both heavy hitter science courses that tend to require significant time investment. The MCAT also will require significant time investment. This will likely out a strain on your schedule and tends to either cause someone to not score as highly on the MCAT or experience a grade drop for two important prerequisite courses. I recommend my students study for the MCAT when other requirements on their time is minimal. That being said, you will find folks who are able to manage both but with a competitive MCAT score being in the top 15% of all test takers, I tend to advocate for a more conservative approach. Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Orgo 2 is fine, but I'd wait and take a June or July MCAT because biochem is very important for the MCAT (not to mention just a pretty hard class, you don't want to have to balance studying for biochem and the MCAT).

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
N=1, but I took the MCAT without having taken biochem (currently taking it now though) and thought it wasn't that bad AS LONG as you have a SOLID Biology foundation to back it up. There is a lot of biochem on the test, and I would have been able to put some of that extra time learning brand new material into other areas.

Organic and biochemistry alone won't be difficult. What else do you have going on that semester? As a nontrad, I took biology 2, physics 2, organic 2, and biochemistry in the same semester. My only other activity was weekly hospital volunteering and that was about as busy as I'd want to be.

N=1, but I took the MCAT without having taken biochem (currently taking it now though) and thought it wasn't that bad AS LONG as you have a SOLID Biology foundation to back it up. There is a lot of biochem on the test, and I would have been able to put some of that extra time learning brand new material into other areas.
Hey, can I ask how you did on the MCAT? I'm thinking of taking the MCAT without a formal biochem class.

Hey, can I ask how you did on the MCAT? I'm thinking of taking the MCAT without a formal biochem class.
I managed to get a 516 (130/126/129/131)! Damn CARS lol. While I managed to do fine on the bio section (90%ile), I believe I did well because I had a solid foundation on the basics so learning the new stuff wasn't as hard. I think that's the only time being a bio major has helped me lol. But would I do it again if I didn't need to? Maybe not, and maybe I could have diverted some of that time I spent on learning bio chem materials into practicing CARS. But it's a score I'm happy with and don't intend on retaking! You can PM me if you have specific questions!

Reactions: 2 users
I think the bottom line is that if you're willing and able to put in the time to learn biochemistry from a prep book, it won't be an issue.