Taking MCAT with Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RummyMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright so the plan is to take a gap year (I am a current senior) before I apply for med school and to take my MCAT early or late sometime this summer. My question is how should I structure when to take the exam if in my gap year I'll be taking some classes in order to replace some grades from freshman/sophomore year when I had a big adjustment period? How would this affect my application timetable? I'm also going to be volunteering/shadowing over the gap year with a possible part-time job if I don't find a research position. Mostly my issue is just setting up a proper timeline so I can plan everything out so the process can go smoothly. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait so you're not applying this upcoming cycle? You'll be applying in 2015? Because that would give you two gap years..

Basically if you want to enter medical school in 2015 you need to take the MCAT this May and apply June/July of this summer. You will then have the 2014-2015 year as a gap year during which you will fill out secondaries in July/August and interview September-March. Anything you do during the gap year will not be on your application unless you send updates.

Sounds like you're doing two gap years. Applying takes one year, remember. So submit your app next summer. Then you have that year long cycle as your second gap year.