Taking most or all pre-reqs @ a Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoosier1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of you take most or all the prereqs at a junior college and got accepted by an optometry school? I'm not sure if I should take the required courses at a JC after I graduate, or take them at the university right now. Can anyone give me some feedback? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

hoosier1 said:
Any of you take most or all the prereqs at a junior college and got accepted by an optometry school? I'm not sure if I should take the required courses at a JC after I graduate, or take them at the university right now. Can anyone give me some feedback? Thanks in advance!

This is a topic that has been brought up quite often, and if you search through previous threads you'll see that there are many of us who have had to complete some pre-recs at CCs after graduating. I completed five of them (Microbio, Anatomy and Physiology I-II, Physics I-II) at CCs, and this did not hinder my acceptance to the Optometry schools. I felt during my interviews and/or in personal statements that I had to defend myself but found that they were very accepting of this. You should try to keep your CC grades in the A range b/c a B or C at a community college looks worse than a B or C at a good university. You can learn the material just as well as long as you put the time in, and if you do your OAT scores will hopefully reflect that.

Not a problem at all, after leaving a PhD program in chemistry to attend optometry school (couldn't stand being in lab ALL day long) I had to take several of my pre-reqs at a CC. In fact I had to go back and take a Freshmen Lit course even though I had a Masters degree because I somehow made it through college only having taken one English course. The other courses I had to take at the CC included statistics, anatomy, and physiology.