Taking my native language for a grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mascue

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, would it be looked down by dschool adcoms if I take my native language as a class for a grade?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you taking it to beef up the gpa or are you in need of formal instruction in your “native language”?

No. I know many people who speak spanish fluently due to only using it at home but have poor grammar and writing skills from never having to read and write in it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you taking it to beef up the gpa or are you in need of formal instruction in your “native language”?
i'm trying to take it along with orgo so I can just really focus on orgo. I am a native speaker and I still can speak the language at the native level.

No. I know many people who speak spanish fluently due to only using it at home but have poor grammar and writing skills from never having to read and write in it.
I lived in my home country for 12 years until I moved to high school in the US, though

I think it’s a great idea! If it will help boost your GPA. I don’t think dental schools care what your electives are as long as you have the required sciences/English classes

I think it’s a great idea! If it will help boost your GPA. I don’t think dental schools care what your electives are as long as you have the required sciences/English classes
Would it still be okay if they know that I am Korean (my native language), and that I've lived there my whole life until high school?

Its up to you. Plenty of fluent Spanish takers take Spanish in school

Taking advanced classes in a language that is spoken widely in the US can only help you. You’ll be able to reach a wider demographic of patients so that’s a major score for the field. Double dipping in bonus points if it helps raise your GPA.