Taking OAT more than once?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neko82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi~

Has anyone taken the OAT more than once and gotten a worst score on the second try? Did that affect your application?

I am content with my current score but I want to improve it in order to increase the chances of getting into SCCO, but I’m afraid I’d do worst due to pressure/luck/etc. :oops: I’m curious how that might jeopardize the chances of being accepted.. although some schools (ie. SCCO) claim that they only look at the best set of the two scores, I’d think that having a worst score the second time around would make you look worst? :scared:

Any advices would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there neko, I took the OAT once (got a 320), but I was afraid that I might have needed to retake it because I got 290's in Physics and Bio. If you don't mind me asking, how did you do on the OAT? I think it wouldn't hurt to contact the schools and ask if your score is competitive or if you would need to retake it. I'm not sure how schools would view it if you scored lower the second time. I have a feeling as long as it's not a huge difference (like from 350 to 300), they might not think it's a huge deal. Again, I'm not positive about that. I do know that some schools just look at your highest score; I would also ask your prospective schools about that. Good luck!

This is my OAT score:

RC 290
QR 280
Bio 340
Chem 400
OChem 370
Physics 320
AA 330
TS 360

I contacted SCCO and they said I have to get above 300 for RC. Man, I was so close! :( So I have to retake it. Just not sure about the other schools, I will have to email them.

Thanks for your input! :)

Awesome TS score! Congratulations!!!

Yeah, I had read that some schools like to see above a 300 in RC. I can imagine how frustrated you feel, though. I'm assuming that SCCO is your first choice, but don't be afraid to keep other schools in mind. Are you planning to apply for 2012? If so, it's good that you've started early. You can probably retake the OAT sometime this summer so that the material can stay fresh in your mind. It seems like you don't have much at all to work on :)

Best of luck to you!

This is my OAT score:

RC 290
QR 280
Bio 340
Chem 400
OChem 370
Physics 320
AA 330
TS 360

I contacted SCCO and they said I have to get above 300 for RC. Man, I was so close! :( So I have to retake it. Just not sure about the other schools, I will have to email them.

Thanks for your input! :)