Taking OAT summer before Junior year?

thewaytogo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

After talking to some of my pre-med/pre-dent friends, they told me that I should take my OAT (or whatever test - MCAT, etc) the summer before my junior year (so basically THIS summer). I have only taken one of the 3-part physics series so far but I am done with O-chem (just need labs) and 2 more life science/biology. I really had not planned to take it so soon cause I thought I had more time. When should I take it? Would the summer after my junior year (July-ish) be too late if I wanted to enter Opt school the fall right after I graduate? I already enrolled in some summer classes and don't want to get fined for totally dropping the classes so that I could take a OAT prep course and study...

Also, after reading some threads, I am a bit confused. So when you say "for people applying in this year's cycle," what does that mean? In reference to the time now (April 2011), "this year's cycle" means getting into Optometry School Fall 2012, correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Your order of courses is quite different from mine, but if you only want to take the OAT once I'd recommend completing your courses first (the ones covered on the test). Also, the schools generally don't want to see OAT scores older than two years.

I would say that this current cycle is referring to students starting their first year in Fall 2011 as interviews might still be going on and there are wait lists to go through. The application process for the 2012-2013 cycle opens in mid-July 2011 this summer.

When should I take it? Would the summer after my junior year (July-ish) be too late if I wanted to enter Opt school the fall right after I graduate?

Also, after reading some threads, I am a bit confused. So when you say "for people applying in this year's cycle," what does that mean? In reference to the time now (April 2011), "this year's cycle" means getting into Optometry School Fall 2012, correct?

As the previous poster answered, if you plan to only take the OAT once, next summer (after your junior yr) is best because you will submitting your application as well to start Fall 2013. If you aren't sure, I suggest taking it as soon as you finish the prereqs for the test. Don't wait for the sake of it being too early. I was finished with my prereqs after my soph yr, so took the OAT the summer before my junior yr. Best of luck!

I see. Yeah I'm gonna wait to finish up my last few pre-reqs first.

Would you recommend taking a prep course? Like the Kaplan, etc?

Also, would it be a good idea if I start studying this summer on my own, take the prep course during the Fall, and take the test during Winter break?

Basically, if I wanted to take the test next summer (Summer 2012, after my 3rd year), when should I take the prep course? Would it be too late to take the prep course next summer AND take the test by the end of the summer (late August?)

Thanks!