Taking one class at two different colleges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gabby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently taking an Intro Chem course at my city college (they make anyone who's never had chemistry take it before Gen Chem I). Anyway, I'm going to be taking Gen Chem I in the summer at the same school. In the Fall, I plan to take Gen Chem II at my state school. I've already been admitted to their program and my pre-med advisor "strongly recommends" I start taking classes there in August. Since they have a med school, I figured the smart thing to do was what the pre-med advisor suggested.

The thing is, another student told me that the worst thing to do is to take one portion of a two-semester class at one college and the second portion at another. Is that true? If so, why? And in that case, what should I do since I really don't want to have to wait until the Fall to get started on my chem prereqs?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with the classmate. Personally, I would never take one half of a 2 semester course at a different school. The continuity is all off and the expectations are not what they would have been at the first school. Community colleges and universities are totally different. Personally, I would never do this unless you have BEYOND an excellent grasp of the material.

Good luck. :luck:

Yeah, that pretty much covers it. Over the course of one year, I would say that most colleges across the country cover 95% of the same material. However, from one semester to the next, there's no such guarantee. Different textbooks cover ground in different orders, and instructors may choose to go through any particular text in their own fashion. Not only that, teaching standards and student expectations can vary from school to school. You could end up just wasting your money by splitting a class like gen chem between two schools.

i have seen many people get away with it, but i know my gen chem 1 teacher didn't get as far as he hoped, decided to skip some stuff and started covering gen chem 2 at the end of the semester.