Taking online biochemistry course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waywin22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am lacking the biochemistry pre-req for some of the schools. I was wondering if taking an online biochemistry will be accepted? There is only three universities that offer biochem here in my state and they are all filled unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad.

I know DMU and KCUMB accept online biochem from UNE. I'm just finishing up the class and it wasn't too bad
Do you know how much it cost? Do you think it is possible doing it overseas as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it was $1225. I don't see why not, you just need to have a computer with mic/cam for taking the 2 proctored tests

Is biochemistry required? I thought most schools considered it to be "recommended"

Well, just be advised that you would be spending 1500 dollars to take a course that is only required for 4-5 schools. If you don't plan on going to those schools, then you might be able to spend that money elsewhere during the application process. Also, courses are only required prior to matriculation...you may not have to take it this semester

The new MCAT includes Biochemistry so it doesn't matter anymore if schools require it.

Also for what it's worth, every student that I've talked to that has entered med school without biochemistry has desperately wished they had taken it. I liked the UNE course because it is specifically medical biochemistry, so you focus on more med school relevant information.

Wait, an online biochem class? I thought that course always had a laboratory component. Is that not required?

Reactions: 1 user
I am lacking the biochemistry pre-req for some of the schools. I was wondering if taking an online biochemistry will be accepted? There is only three universities that offer biochem here in my state and they are all filled unfortunately.
I just finished UC Berkely 's online Biochemistry course 3/5/2015. Transcript will not read "online" course. Cost $800. 3 credit hrs. I'm selling my coursework (exams, written assignments, midterm) + book $100.00. Email me [email protected]