taking PCAT without some prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sammi345

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have taken the PCAT, I have a question regarding taking the PCAT without having some of the prerequisites finished.

Does the PCAT require a lot of organic chemistry 2? or will organic chem 1 be enough?

If you had a choice of not taking a prerequisite before taking the PCAT (however studying it on your own) which course would you leave out: Organic 1 and/or 2, microbiology, human anatomy and physiology, or calculus?

I hope I'm not too confusing. Thanks:)

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely don't leave out calculus. I would say leave out the A&P, and just study for it out of a review book. There were only about 2-3 anatomy questions on the PCAT when I took it (October 2007).

For those who have taken the PCAT, I have a question regarding taking the PCAT without having some of the prerequisites finished.

Does the PCAT require a lot of organic chemistry 2? or will organic chem 1 be enough?

If you had a choice of not taking a prerequisite before taking the PCAT (however studying it on your own) which course would you leave out: Organic 1 and/or 2, microbiology, human anatomy and physiology, or calculus?

I leave out human anatomy and physiology & microbio.

Of the classes you listed, I give attention to reviewing calculus and organic chemistry (especially organic 1)

This summer I plan on taking 2 courses.

Do you think it would be a better idea to take organic 1 and calculus 1.. or just do organic 1 & 2. I plan on taking the pcat late august. Thanks, any help would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad :)

Do you think it would be a better idea to take organic 1 and calculus 1.. or just do organic 1 & 2. I plan on taking the pcat late august. Thanks, any help would be appreciated

This would depend on your background in organic and calculus.
There will be more calculus problems than organic on PCAT. So, I take Calculus if I haven't taken both classes yet.

Taking organic chemistry in summer means 3 hours of lecture and 3 to 4 hour lab on daily basis (weekdays).

I take Calculus (daily 3 hour lecture) because you'll have more time to review other pcat subjects (biology & general chemistry) from a review book instead of being stuck in a lab

Personally, I stay away from organic in the summer but its your call.

Reactions: 1 user
I leave out human anatomy and physiology & microbio.

Of the classes you listed, I give attention to reviewing calculus and organic chemistry (especially organic 1)

I completely agree I did not take A&P or micro before taking the PCAT and got an 89 on it. Make sure to review Ochem there are a lot of questions on it.

No need at all to take O Chem II before the PCAT. Heck, I hadn't even taken O Chem I before the exam, but I studied the most basic O Chem material on my own over about 3 months (with help from a chemistry instructor...it wasn't a cram job) and wound up with a 98 on the chemistry portion. I am not a genius...you can get good chemistry scores without having taken O Chem I. The O Chem material on the test is not that hard. Do make sure you review the Gen Chem I and II material...I felt very strong on those questions and that definitely helped carry my chem score.

Bottom line: Take Organic Chem I if you can before the PCAT, but it's not the end of the world if you can't squeeze that in first.

Take Calc I before you take the PCAT for sure. The Calc material on the test is pretty basic...they don't give you big complicated problems, but you do need to know how to do basic differentiation and integration.

I took the PCAT before I took Orgo 1 and 2, before anatomy, phisiology, microbiology.

I got a 53 on the chem section, but was still admitted early decision.

I got an 89 overall, and I think an 87 in bio.

Take Calculus for sure, and probably Organic 1.

I remember one microbio question on the PCAT but I probably wouldnt have known the answer if I took the PCAT today (I just finished Microbio this morning....)

Hope this helps.

I took the PCAT in Fall 2004 (the year they started making lots of changes to it in terms of content. I managed okay without having had the great majority of my prerequisites completed. To answer your question though, Orgo I should be sufficient. It really depends on your reasoning abilities, though, if you're missing prereqs.

I took ochem 1 and 2 last summer, which ended about 2 days before the august PCAT. It definitely helped me on my chem section...lol
I got 95th percentile there, but those courses drained my energy and my time, and i only studied a little bit for the PCAT. Once ochem ended, i just took 1-2 practice tests and just relaxed...got an 83 composite so not bad...

just most importantly, study, and don't worry bout which classes to take, since any would be beneficial

I plan on applying for 2010 admission, so I will be taking the PCAT next year.

This past year I took General Chem 1. Next year I plan on taking Org Chem 1 & 2, meaning if I apply next year, I will not General Chem 2 for the PCAT. Should I change it to where I have General Chem 2 next fall and Org Chem 1 in the spring? Please post your opinions.

I plan on applying for 2010 admission, so I will be taking the PCAT next year.

This past year I took General Chem 1. Next year I plan on taking Org Chem 1 & 2, meaning if I apply next year, I will not General Chem 2 for the PCAT. Should I change it to where I have General Chem 2 next fall and Org Chem 1 in the spring? Please post your opinions.

You definitely want to take the full Gen Chem series before the PCAT. If you are wanting to apply for 2010 admission, you should take Gen Chem 2 next fall ('08) and O-Chem 1 in the spring, then take the PCAT in June of '09. No need for O-chem 2 before the PCAT.