• Forums Updates - Thursday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Thursday starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.
  • Seeking Outstanding Advisors
    If you have benefited from an amazing advisor, nominate them for the 2024 Advisor of the Year Award! Accepting nominations now through March 31st.

Taking prereq as pass/fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aj30

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know if taking a DS prereq as pass/fail is looked at badly by ADCOMS? I graduated already and took all my classes except physics, which I'm taking this year. I can take it as pass/fail in which case ADCOMS won't even see it until January (by academic update), hopefully after acceptance (I applied in June). I'll add that my GPA is good enough as is.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You can't take any prereqs Pass/Fail. They all must be taken for a letter grade.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, it looks bad. It is a pre-requisite for a reason. Your sGPA is never "good enough as is." Your over-confidence in this process will hurt you. Beyond P/F classes being absolutely useless IMO with respect to finances, taking a pass/fail designation for a pre-req is frowned upon. Don't do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it looks bad. It is a pre-requisite for a reason. Your sGPA is never "good enough as is." Your over-confidence in this process will hurt you. Beyond P/F classes being absolutely useless IMO with respect to finances, taking a pass/fail designation for a pre-req is frowned upon. Don't do it.
I can understand that a class this semester I shouldn't, bec the ADCOMS will see it in the academic update. But what difference will it make if I do this for the spring semester (physics 2)?
As to the previous poster, is that a hard rule? Does it vary by school? I've never even heard of people discussing it.

It's not a great idea to try and be sneaky with ADCOMS. If you get an acceptance and try to sneak a P/F pre-req in you can easily have that acceptance revoked.

You don't see any discussion about it because people don't do it.

Do not try and sneak around ADCOMs. You don't want any acceptance you have revoked because you tried to get around doing something required.