Taking prerequisite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreDentalKorean

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshmen year college student, and it's almost over. I am doing fine for intro bio and gen chem this semester, but I didn't do too well last semester (B for each). I know that B is not a grade to consider retake, but I think prerequisites are very important, and retaking should help me when I take DAT as well because I would have more solid understanding (since intro bio and gen chem are what's on DAT).

My question is, does it look bad to retake a class?
If I failed them, retaking would be natural, but do you think retaking is worth it in my case? (Retaking bad image vs. Higher grade (most likely A range if I retake)) Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Retaking a class you got a B in will hurt you more than help you. It looks like you wasted time on the lower division classes and progress too slow. Move foward with your eduaction and take more advanced courses. Prove yourself in those classes if you want to redeem yourself (from your lousy B's!?!?!).

You’ve got a long ways still to go since you’re a freshman. Don’t worry about the B, and please don’t start freaking about things like this already or it will be a long 4 years. Do as suggested above: Worry about acing more advanced classes.

Adcoms could care less about a B in Bio I when that is followed by A’s in Physiology, biochemistry, microbiology, etc. (you get the point).