Taking science courses vs. focusing on MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

glossymatte

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I plan on taking 3-4 science courses this upcoming semester (some are upper level electives)
My current cgpa is ~3.5, but my science GPA is poor at around 3.1. However, taking these courses would help raise my sGPA to around a 3.3

However, my MCAT date is also in April. Do you think it's possible to juggle both classes + MCAT? Or do you think I should sacrifice the GPA to do well on the MCAT?

I would ideally like to be in an MD program, but am definitely planning to apply DO as well.
 
Last edited:
Personally I'd focus on the classes and postpone the MCAT. I wouldn't sacrifice my gpa. This is the exact reason I plan on taking the MCAT in September. It causes another gap year, but I'd rather do well on the MCAT and keep my A's.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using SDN mobile