taking step 2 "early"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flipflopsnsnow

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didnt do so hot on Step I, so I would like to take Step II "early" so that schools I am applying to can see that I am amazing.... ;)
What is considered "early?" I heard something about Sept 30th.....

Thanks!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Sept 30 isn't that early. I already had 1/2 of my interviews by 9/30 last year. If you take Step 2 on 9/30 you will have to wait 3-4 weeks to get your score. This will put you at the end of October. By that time, many top programs will have already rejected you by your Step 1 score. I would take it by the middle of August at the latest.

Depends on the specialty you are going into and when you want to get your application in. People in some of the more competitive specialties are clamoring to get their apps in on Sept 1st. Some programs even start downloading that day. So, if you want your score to be seen then you will need to take the test 6wks before that.

In some of the less competitive specialties you would probably be fine just having you score in in time for the Dean's letter deadline (Nov 1st) so that it is automatically downloaded at that time.

i took step 2 middle of july. scores back by end of august.