Taking Step 3 between graduation and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starbuckscoffee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have quite a bit of time off before residency starts and was hoping to take Step 3 sometime in mid-June.

However, the FSMB FAQ page says it can take up to 6 weeks to verify graduation status for new graduates and that you can't start the application process until after your graduation date. (http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_faq.html#q04)

Since I'm graduating in mid-May, if it takes 6 weeks just to approve my status, that will likely prevent me from taking the test before July 1.

Has anyone taken Step 3 between graduation and residency? Did it take 6 weeks to verify your graduation status, or is this an overestimate?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone done this? Please advise! I need to decide if I should sign up for the test and start studying. Thanks so much.

You have to check the requirements for the state you plan to take the test in. Some states have a 1 year completed residency requirement. Look on the step 3 enrollment website.

That's not an issue in my state. The only issue is whether they really take 6 weeks from my graduation date to process my application, since that would effectively prevent me from taking the exam before July 1.

I don't think the application will slow you down, but you have to go through the same crap with Prometric as the other steps. Scheduling is also a little more sparse because it's a 2 day exam. Might as well just register and pencil it in at some point - you don't have to settle on a day for 3-6 months. Trust me - the earlier the better (especially if you're surgical). I learned nothing during intern year that was useful for that test. 3/4 of the test is outpatient FM-type clinic stuff (the kind we never do).

I used CT.
Took about a week.

Why are you trying to rush Step 3? Most residents take it in their PGY-2 sometime, so there will likely be room in the schedule to do so. Remember that if you apply for a fellowship, all of your step scores will be reported. A crappy Step 3 score will NOT help you if you're applying for a competitive fellowship. Hence, I recommend to my residents that are applying to fellowships to delay Step 3 until after applications, unless they play to take it seriously and rock it.

Why are you trying to rush Step 3? Most residents take it in their PGY-2 sometime, so there will likely be room in the schedule to do so. Remember that if you apply for a fellowship, all of your step scores will be reported. A crappy Step 3 score will NOT help you if you're applying for a competitive fellowship. Hence, I recommend to my residents that are applying to fellowships to delay Step 3 until after applications, unless they play to take it seriously and rock it.

This isn't quite relevant to me since I'm going into dermatology and have to take Step 3 during my PGY1 year (prelim medicine). My prelim program doesn't provide any time off to study (basically you just get the 2 days for the exam off), so I thought it would be easier to do my studying now while I have 6 weeks off with nothing much to do.

Some advanced programs require a passing Step 3 score before starting the PGY-2 year. I think the reason a lot of us want to get it out of the way now is because we figure intern year is going to be brutal enough as it is without having this looming in the background. When else are we going to have almost two solid months of nothing to do but study? I know a lot of people say it's completely possible to study during a light rotation and then take the exam, but it would be nice to use light rotations as an opportunity to relax a little, if possible.

Last edited: