Taking Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josh37

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When would someone going into Ophthalmology take Step 3?

Can any of the current residents recommend if you should take it early or late in your PGY 1 year; or can you actaully wait 'til PGY-2?

I'm thinking of taking a Kaplan class after graduating and before residency to help study, any thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

When would someone going into Ophthalmology take Step 3?

Can any of the current residents recommend if you should take it early or late in your PGY 1 year; or can you actaully wait 'til PGY-2?

I'm thinking of taking a Kaplan class after graduating and before residency to help study, any thoughts on this?

Its funny but I was about to post the same question. Would anyone be able to advice on the best course of action and the best material to read? My plan is to start reading about now and take the test after I begin my Prelim year. I have heard that most hospitals pitch in and help with the Step 3 exam fee.

Should one start reading some ophthalmology as well at this time and if so what is the best way to start ?
Thanks for any input.

Take it as soon as you can - end of intern year is a good time. Do NOT wait until the end of your 3rd year of ophtho to take it. You'll totally ignore OKAPs and freak out about Step 3 because you'll have forgotten everything and have only one shot to pass if you want to have a license on time. You know, or so I've heard. I would have never procrastinated so long on it. Really.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its funny but I was about to post the same question. Would anyone be able to advice on the best course of action and the best material to read? My plan is to start reading about now and take the test after I begin my Prelim year. I have heard that most hospitals pitch in and help with the Step 3 exam fee.

Should one start reading some ophthalmology as well at this time and if so what is the best way to start ?
Thanks for any input.

I think the best way to answer this question is to ask yourself how you studied for Step II? Whatever worked for Step II should work for Step III. Use the CD that USMLE sends you to get used to the format of the 2nd day of clinical cases. Many, including myself used the Crush series and Kaplan's QBank Questions. I studied for 2-3 weeks, took it and passed. I then got my hands on a copy of the BCSC Series Volume entitled Fundamentals and Principles of Ophthalmology and read that. I thought it was a good primer for first year of ophtho.

Your goal should be to take Step 3 sometime during your internship year; in general the sooner the better (as long as you pass) Its just one of those things you want to get out of the way. In terms of putting Step 3 off until 2nd or 3rd year of residency is a bad idea. In addition to the reason listed above, some states (depending on where you match) require you to apply for a state license during residency either as a PGY 2 or 3, without which you cannot be promoted to the following year! Not having taken Step 3 will be one more hurdle to jump.

Don't be lazy and just get it over with!

I originally wanted to take it b/w MS4 and PGY1 but all the paperwork couldn't get done in time.

Instead I took it during a light rotation in late Sept, studied minimally (glanced at crush for non-med topics, usmle world for Q's and scenarios), and passed. I was close enough to Step 2 that I didn't need to study facts too much, the case scenarios would have been harder if I took it earlier but I just came off MICU night float so that helped prepare me to make quick decisions.

It was the longest test (and so uncomfortable since I was 6mo preggo at the time with sciatica), but the least brain-taxing for me.

Whatever happened to the theory of 2's for the steps....study 2 months for Step I, 2 weeks for step II, bring a #2 pencil to step 3. I am prelim medicine now and taking step III in April. Even with the above theory, I did buy Crush Step III and will probably at least open it for a few days. When the only goal is to pass in this intrinsically ambitious crowd, creates some confusion and concern as to how to prepare

Whatever happened to the theory of 2's for the steps....study 2 months for Step I, 2 weeks for step II, bring a #2 pencil to step 3. I am prelim medicine now and taking step III in April. Even with the above theory, I did buy Crush Step III and will probably at least open it for a few days. When the only goal is to pass in this intrinsically ambitious crowd, creates some confusion and concern as to how to prepare

Uh, computers shot that theory down. You don't need or are even allowed to bring a #2 pencil anymore.

My real advice is to not worry too much, and get it out of the way early on. I would recommend somewhere in between 6 and 9 months of intern year. Depending on what state you take the test in, there are restrictions as to when you can test. For example some states REQUIRE you to complete 9 months of internship first. Check the USMLE site for details.
Be SURE to practice the case based scenarios for the test. The content is easy, but you need to navigate the computer and by practicing you will save lots of time on test day.

I used NMS question book and First Aid only for the scenarios in the back of the book.

I matched this year and am studying for step 2 now that I can't put it off any longer. I just wanted to know how important step 2 is in landing competetive fellowships after ophthalmology, I've been told as long as you pass you'll be fine. I could extend my elig. period a month longer and probably do better but I am really just want to pass at this point (without it kicking me in the butt later). Any thoughts?:thumbup: :thumbdown: :oops:

I matched this year and am studying for step 2 now that I can't put it off any longer. I just wanted to know how important step 2 is in landing competetive fellowships after ophthalmology, I've been told as long as you pass you'll be fine. I could extend my elig. period a month longer and probably do better but I am really just want to pass at this point (without it kicking me in the butt later). Any thoughts?:thumbup: :thumbdown: :oops:

There is NO chance a fellowship will care about your Step 2 score unless you fail.

There is NO chance a fellowship will care about your Step 2 score unless you fail.

How important is Step 3 for fellowship match? I'm taking it tomorrow and Wednesday. I definitely put my time in studying for it (First Aid, Boards and Wards, Kaplan Q-bank), but I'm curious if anyone has insight into this.

People, chill out. Fellowships couldn't care less about your Step scores. You did well enough to get into ophthalmology already. Fellowships care about your letters, your research, and who you know. Some care about OKAPs, even if they're not supposed to.

People, chill out. Fellowships couldn't care less about your Step scores. You did well enough to get into ophthalmology already. Fellowships care about your letters, your research, and who you know. Some care about OKAPs, even if they're not supposed to.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if Step 3 could be a component of consideration for fellowship match, as non-applicable as the test material may be. Case in point: do ophthalmology residency programs care about Step 1 scores, even though there is not a single ophthalmology question contained therein?

And I think I'd rather not have to explain a 20-point deficit between Step 2 and Step 3.:)