Taking Step III in a different state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duramaterdoc

Pessimistic Idealist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently live (and am doing internship/residency) in a state that requires one to apply (and pay!) for licensure upon registration/sitting for Step III.

But, a neighboring state (merely 2 hours away) let's one sit for Step III and take the test without applying for licensure.

My question: Can you take Step III anywhere?

My state/hospital/residency does not require me to take Step III and become licensed before beginning PGY2. (I think some programs/states might mandate that you do take Step III/get licensed before beginning PGY2).

Licensure in my home/residency state is a lot of money up front AND for yearly renewel--which I don't want to HAVE to pay right now.

Yet, since I want to be available to other states should a specific residency opening occur, I want to have Step III under my belt in case I need a license before beginning PGY2. (Makes obtaining a license one step faster/closer).

Has anyone else encountered this dilemma? Is it better to pay the money and take it AND get licensed?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can take the USMLE Step 3 anywhere. I've heard of several people (originally from CA) taking Step 3 in CA before starting internship in another state. Some states require that you complete at least 6-12 months of post-graduate training. From what I've heard, CA doesn't have this requirement for taking Step 3.

Our program does not require us to have a full MA license. Therefore, out of the 18 residents in our program, only two have decided to get their full license because they wanted to moonlight. Personally and from what I've been told by senior residents, I don't think it is worth the money to get a full license so early in your training. Plus, even if you get a license in your current state, you'll still have to apply for a license in any other state you plan to practice/train in. In fact, any new state board you apply for will want information from the former so you'll be potentially incurring added expenses in the future. Unless ou plan to spend a lot of time moonlighting, I would hold off on getting your full license.