taking test WITHOUT any training??!

Started by dr1989
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dr1989

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so i have seen all these programs at schools and online programs where you can pay from 1500 to 14,000 to "train" for the pcat.

some ppl are saying if you study hard enough yourself-you can pass.

but...

is it worth the risk of doin it yourself?
how do schools look upon taking a pcat test without any official training? is it something they frown upon?

i dont even know if i should take it because i wanna apply to usc, and they dont list the pcat as their pre-req-will it have a good impression on them if i do??🙄
 
You don't need to take a class. I scored a 99 composite and studied on my own. I actually recommend that people try to do it on their own first to save money. However, take the class if you know that you will not devote the effort to study unless someone is making you stay focused. If you choose to study on your own and you don't like your results, you can always decide to take a class before your next attempt.

Just curious, where did you see a $14,000 class? I would avoid that one.

As far as USC goes, the California schools are quite competitive. Even if they don't require the PCAT, you should consider applying to at least one or two out of state schools for a backup plan in case you don't get in. Take the PCAT and if you score well, you will be more competitive elsewhere. If you don't, you don't need to send those scores to USC and hopefully the rest of your application is strong.
 
Personally, I wouldn't pay $1500 for a course to study for this test. I studied by myself and did fine.

The only advice I have is to make sure you have taken all the first year general chem, o-chem, and biology courses before you take it the first time. I am still in first year and took mine (Jan 2009) when I haven't gotten to organic chemistry yet. There were quite a few organic questions on there (~16 was on the practice test by Pearson). I still scored well on the biology and chemistry sections (96, 93 respectively, 90 composite), but definitely not as good as the above poster heh.

I would say "official training" is attending your prerequisite courses before you take the test, and doing well in those courses will reflect on your application. I don't think those PCAT-prep courses even show up on your application?
 
so i have seen all these programs at schools and online programs where you can pay from 1500 to 14,000 to "train" for the pcat.

some ppl are saying if you study hard enough yourself-you can pass.

but...

is it worth the risk of doin it yourself?
how do schools look upon taking a pcat test without any official training? is it something they frown upon?

i dont even know if i should take it because i wanna apply to usc, and they dont list the pcat as their pre-req-will it have a good impression on them if i do??🙄

Almost everyone I know in California who's taken the PCAT has done really, really well. I studied maybe for a week and scored the 99th percentile in the composite.

That being said, most of the Cali schools will NOT look at PCAT scores (the only one I'm not sure of is California Northstate), so you're better off not putting in the money or effort to even look at the PCAT, unless you want to apply to out-of-state schools that do require it.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Almost everyone I know in California who's taken the PCAT has done really, really well. I studied maybe for a week and scored the 99th percentile in the composite.

That being said, most of the Cali schools will NOT look at PCAT scores (the only one I'm not sure of is California Northstate), so you're better off not putting in the money or effort to even look at the PCAT, unless you want to apply to out-of-state schools that do require it.

but you yourself did the pcat and went to ucsf. were u applyting to out of state schools (outside calif) as well? and did u mention on youre app that you scored really well on the pcat?
 
but you yourself did the pcat and went to ucsf. were u applyting to out of state schools (outside calif) as well? and did u mention on youre app that you scored really well on the pcat?

Yeah, I applied to University of Hawaii-Hilo which required the PCAT. UCSF said to not even bother about sending in the PCAT scores, while Touro said that they might put my PCAT scores under consideration but it wasn't necessary.

The PharmCAS actually has a place where you designate when you've taken the PCAT. You still have to send the scores directly to the schools you're applying to that require it.
 
I studied for the pcat the night before the test and made a 92. I reviewed one of the practice exams. I told the people about this in the interview, they laughed, I got accepted.
 
Its not common for people to hardly study for the pcat and make 90-100. Its important to make sure ur ready for the test by studying ALOT,. I took the pcat and It wasn't as easy as all these people it saying it is.. =( u can only benefit by studying on your own months ahead or take a prep course if u have the money for it.
 
I don't think you need to pay for a prep course as long as you've taken your prereqs up through Organic Chemistry I. As long as you can remember all of the major material in those courses, you should do fine. I did by Kaplan's PCAT book for $25, and that helped focus my studying on the more releveant subjects. I'd recommend this; it comes with a practice test, too, which is nice.

I took the PCAT in October and got a 99 composite. I'll qualify that by saying that I'm a good test taker, and I did have all the prereq classes completed pretty recently, but it's all stuff that you ought to have learned before so I would suggest skipping the prep course unless your science is old or missing.