taking the boarD exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

pharMchiCK

hey.. can someone explain to me what's the difference with attending a school out of state & earning my degree, rather than if I were to go to school in California? (considering that I wanted to WORK in california as a pharmacist)

Are there TWO SEPARATE EXAMS i would have to take?

Members don't see this ad.

MOST states require the nabplex and a law test. The naplex is the same for those states but the law tests are based on state law. You will take 2 tests even if you stay in state.
On the naplex you can "score transfer" to a certain number of schools. You won't have to take the nabplex again in these states (providing you pass). In every state you want licensed in you must take the law test.

If you choose not to score transfer you have to recpricate off of your original license into the new state (still don't take the test over) but no matter how long you have had your license you have to take a law test for the new state...

this doesn't really explain it for it can be more complicated but perhaps someone else can do a better job....

pharMchiCK said:
hey.. can someone explain to me what's the difference with attending a school out of state & earning my degree, rather than if I were to go to school in California? (considering that I wanted to WORK in california as a pharmacist)

Are there TWO SEPARATE EXAMS i would have to take?

I don't think there is a big exam at the end of pharmacy school in order to get a PharmD. You'd just need to have the grad school's curriculum fulfilled and a good GPA.

There is only one exam you have to take and its the state's pharmacy board's exam. You'd need to take their exam in order to get a license to practice pharmacy in the state, which is required. Their exam would be based on what is learned from pharm school. Therefore, it would be best to take their exam once you're done with pharm school. With a license, you would be qualified pharmcist by the state.

Actually the above post is incorrect. You have to take the NAPLEX exam, and depending on the state you need to take a state exam as well. Most of the states require a state exam, perhaps all of them now. If you want some more information about the NAPLEX exam I have provided a link that expalins it fairly well. Hope that helps.

http://www.pharmacist.com/articles/l_t_0002.cfm

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah i forgot about the individual state boards.... What all states require them? I know kentucky does... Does Fl still have a state board? i'm not really up on the rest of the nation

Tuck said:
Actually the above post is incorrect. You have to take the NAPLEX exam, and depending on the state you need to take a state exam as well.
Sorry about that :( I had no idea about the Naplex exam.

bbmuffin said:
Yeah i forgot about the individual state boards.... What all states require them? I know kentucky does... Does Fl still have a state board? i'm not really up on the rest of the nation
I looked up on the internet and found on the US Dept of Labor website http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos079.htm#training that all states do require a state exam. It also mentions about different requirements to practice in CA and FL.
Interestingly, there is also the MPJE, which tests on pharmacy law. Is there anyone who can explain about the MPJE?

panda103 said:
Sorry about that :( I had no idea about the Naplex exam.

I looked up on the internet and found on the US Dept of Labor website http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos079.htm#training that all states do require a state exam. It also mentions about different requirements to practice in CA and FL.
Interestingly, there is also the MPJE, which tests on pharmacy law. Is there anyone who can explain about the MPJE?

are you sure their state exam isn't the law test??
here in AL you do NOT have to take a state board like you do in KY or FL and i believe GA has a Georgia boards too...
you just take the naplex and the law test