Taking the DAT again.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

RE4

I took the DAT in may I got:

BIO 19
Ochem 22
Gchem 18
PAT 19
QR 19
RC 17
AA 19
TS 20

I applied to 49 schools, but I have a low gpa (3.05).
these days competition is crazy. I want to take the DAT again.
what you guys think?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

With your GPA being at the lower end of most accepted applicants, you probably need to have a higher DAT score to balance it out. I would suggest retaking the DAT if you think you can improve on your first score. Your score isn't bad, but you're right...with the competition the way it is these days, you most likely will need to improve a little if you want to be sure of an acceptance.

Also...49 schools? I've never heard of anyone applying to so many. There are quite a few state schools who take only a couple of out staters with stellar stats...you might want to thin down your list a little and save yourself some money (if you haven't submitted your application yet). Just out of curiosity...how much did that cost?

I think you're ok given you applied to 49 schools. At least one of them is bound to take you. Safe yourself the pain of retaking the DATs and see what happens

Members don't see this ad :)
49?!?! That's a little much ... You could probably shorten that list if you do some more research on each school and see which ones have like a high prefrence of "in-staters" and such.

If you do plan on taking the DAT again, when would you take it? within the next month? Have you studied enough? Are you sure you will be able to do better?
I personally wouldn't take it over. your scores are pretty average..

Your stats are average at best. You could definintely save yourself some money by eliminating some of the more competitive schools from your list. Try and retake those DAT's if possible. You'll be okay assuming you've got the requisite extracurriculars and LOR.s Good luck. :luck:

why not just apply to all 56? have fun during interviews!

You are fine. If you have a few extracurriculars to toss in the mix then I wouldn't worry. There are people with 18's on the DAT getting in with less than a 3.0.

I'd suggest retaking the DAT only if it comes down to you needing to reapply next year. If so, your coursework should help you do even better. Save the money for this year's supplementals.

cbc32 said:
You are fine. If you have a few extracurriculars to toss in the mix then I wouldn't worry. There are people with 18's on the DAT getting in with less than a 3.0.

yea, my friend got accepted to USC last year with 3.1 and 17 on DAT.

I don't think any school is going to take you seriously, simply because you applied to so many schools. It shows them that you did no research into thier school and that you have no idea what you even want in a d-school. I think you would have a better chance if you do a little research and only apply to 15. Go to predents.com and check out all the schools websites.

RE4 said:

BIO 19
Ochem 22
Gchem 18
PAT 19
QR 19
RC 17
AA 19
TS 20

what you guys think?

thanks.

wow 49? i think anything above 20 would be overkill. i think your stats are average but if the rest of your package is good, i probably wouldnt worry to much. like everyone else has mentioned, some schools take very few out of staters so applying to schools like that might just be water down the drain. gl.

this is what happened to me for the 2006 cycle:
i applied to 14 schools.
i had a 3.19 gpa, 19/19/18
0 interviews
0 acceptances
no joke. competition is insane.

stories of people getting accepted with a gpa <3.2 and a <19 dat are usually about nontraditional students or people who are/have completed a post-bacc.

therefore, i'm taking the dat again. my gpa is also slightly higher for the 2007 cycle. i have a 3.27 now.

best to you. your fate could be entirely different.

Members don't see this ad :)
lovechild404 said:
this is what happened to me for the 2006 cycle:
i applied to 14 schools.
i had a 3.19 gpa, 19/19/18
0 interviews
0 acceptances
no joke. competition is insane.

stories of people getting accepted with a gpa <3.2 and a <19 dat are usually about nontraditional students or people who are/have completed a post-bacc.

therefore, i'm taking the dat again. my gpa is also slightly higher for the 2007 cycle. i have a 3.27 now.

best to you. your fate could be entirely different.

What was your sci gpa?

teefRcool said:
What was your sci gpa?
And when did you get your aadsas application in?

my sci gpa was low 2.9
my application got sent out early august.
i had great LORs and international volunteer experience, but they didn't help.

RE4 said:

BIO 19
Ochem 22
Gchem 18
PAT 19
QR 19
RC 17
AA 19
TS 20

what you guys think?

thanks.

^^ Whoa sh_t! 49 schools??!!! How much did you pay for your application fee!?? :eek:

ArmoredTooth said:
^^ Whoa sh_t! 49 schools??!!! How much did you pay for your application fee!?? :eek:

I paid 1960 for 49 schools and paid about 800$ to ADA for my DAT scores. :eek:

RE4 said:

i know there are several schools, especially in the south, like one in Mississippi, that only take instate applicants. then there are schools like harvard or some of the california schools (specially if you are not a resident)where you will just be waisting your money. i hope you research all the schools you applied to and looked to see if you are eligible to apply and if you have or will have all the requirements.

some schools want biochem (tufts) other want psychology (ucla/ucsf) so make sure you look at all the schools requirements before paying the secondary fee.

good luck.

RE4 said:
I applied to 49 schools

thanks.

I think I just threw up in my mouth upon reading that.

you know, to just throw your money away by applying to 49 schools is a pretty good indicator as to why your dat and gpa are low. somethings not clicking upstairs

Holy crap 49 schools?! I thought I was applying to a lot with 12 schools. If I were you I would highly think about contacting schools, letting them know your situation and see what schools you actually will be competitive at. I pretty much have to do the same thing because I have a less then steller academic record and i'm trying to make up for that right now. There must be some schools on the list that might be "reach schools", at least save on the secondaries!

Your DAT scores are awsome. Before you go out and retake the DAT, remember what a painful experience it was. Best of luck to you!!

UtahDad said:
Your DAT scores are awsome. Before you go out and retake the DAT, remember what a painful experience it was. Best of luck to you!!

nah, Im not going to take it again. 8 months of painful studying was enough. hopefully I get accepted somewhere.

good luck everyone.

RE4 said:

With that kind of dough, why don't you just have your daddy by your way into dental school?'

So, I got an AA of 18 on the DAT last week. I have a 3.9 GPA from Colorado State University. BUT... I didn't do so hot on the PAT. It sucked! Do you all think that I could get into University of CO? Or should I retake the DAT??

KOM said:
With that kind of dough, why don't you just have your daddy by your way into dental school?'

Well, this is not my daddy's money, Bank of America is helping me out here. :D