Taking the DAT before finishing O chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontraditionaljojo

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I a nontraditional student who is going through a post-bacc right now. I have taken bio/chem/physics 1 and am currently taking the second level this semester. I am going to be completing ochem 1/2 this summer and biochem/bio electives in the fall. I was aiming at applying this coming cycle after finishing my ochem classes and taking the DAT at the beginning of the summer. I've been using dat bootcamp to learn ochem and am struggling with it. I just wanted to get some advice on my timeline for the DAT/applying for dental school in general. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I never advise a student to take the DAT without completing the required classes. Because you are struggling with OChem currently I would consider finishing Orgo 1 and 2 and taking at the end of summer to avoid a retake. The biggest mistake I have seen students make through the years is rushing to take the DAT before being fully prepared. The other suggestion would be to get a tutor to help you with Orgo so you can destroy this most challenging section of the DAT, Orgo 1 and 2 are on the DAT so you need to be prepared for anything that is presented.

Hope this makes sense and if you have ore questions, just ask.

Nancy, co/owner, DAT Destroyer

Reactions: 1 user