Taking the DAT before taking Orgo II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lobstermobster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a question concerning the DAT and Orgo II. I REALLY want to take the DAT at the end of next summer (this would be the summer before my junior year). However, I will not have taken Orgo II by this time. I was thinking I would just try to teach myself and study it to the best of my ability, but is a good score in the organic chemistry section a realistic possibility without actually taking it in college? I'm a pretty good student, and I think I'll be fine, I just don't know if I'm being irrational in assuming I can teach myself all the material included in an Orgo II course. Any input regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a good amount of orgo 2 material on the DAT, and I would advise you take the class prior to taking the DAT. Besides, it is not necessary to take the DAT the summer before your junior year. Are you trying to apply after 3 years of undergrad? You also have the option to take the DAT during your winter or spring break of your junior year and that way have already taken orgo 2 and study on and off during the semester. But if you have a good work ethic and be able to go through orgo 2 material, then go ahead and take it. Orgo is not a cakewalk for many people and it may be more difficult then you think.

There is a good amount of orgo 2 material on the DAT, and I would advise you take the class prior to taking the DAT. Besides, it is not necessary to take the DAT the summer before your junior year. Are you trying to apply after 3 years of undergrad? You also have the option to take the DAT during your winter or spring break of your junior year and that way have already taken orgo 2 and study on and off during the semester. But if you have a good work ethic and be able to go through orgo 2 material, then go ahead and take it. Orgo is not a cakewalk for many people and it may be more difficult then you think.

+1. You know how important it is to do well on the DAT. Don't short-change yourself by not taking the full compliment of courses needed to prepare for it. You'll also experience more higher level bio's at the same time, and better your chances on that section of the test as well.

+1. You know how important it is to do well on the DAT. Don't short-change yourself by not taking the full compliment of courses needed to prepare for it. You'll also experience more higher level bio's at the same time, and better your chances on that section of the test as well.

If you take a good prep course, they will teach you the important parts for the exam. So to answer your question, No, you do not need to take Orgo II before the DAT. Most of the DAT is Orgo I anyway. Feel free to message me with questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the DAT before taking orgo II and ended up with a 19 in orgo. So take from it what you will

I took the DAT without taking O chem II and got a 19. You will need to read through and learn the Kaplan book or something that will sum up all of O chem II in a couple chapters. The second time I took the DAT I got a 22 after taking O chem II. Take it for what it's worth..

i don't understand why ppl are always in a hurry to take their DAT/MCAT when they are still far from applying.. lol i'm applying may of 2010; i've been studying on and off and i'm planning on taking mine in january i think that's still enough time to retake if i need a retake..

Hello Everyone,

I have a question concerning the DAT and Orgo II. I REALLY want to take the DAT at the end of next summer (this would be the summer before my junior year). However, I will not have taken Orgo II by this time. I was thinking I would just try to teach myself and study it to the best of my ability, but is a good score in the organic chemistry section a realistic possibility without actually taking it in college? I'm a pretty good student, and I think I'll be fine, I just don't know if I'm being irrational in assuming I can teach myself all the material included in an Orgo II course. Any input regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

If you have a very strong background from O-chem 1 and you have a great text book, then it is possible to learn O-chem 2 on your own. It's mostly reactions and the only way you'll learn them is to memorize them. However, if you're already struggling with O-chem 1, then avoid doing this. You'll screw up your DAT beyond what you could ever imagine.

P.S. Being a good student doesn't necessarily mean you can teach yourself everything. You can be the best student out there, but as topics get more complicated you'll need someone who could explain them for you step by step.

You need a course structure to teach yourself ochem (ie deadlines, midterms to study for etc).

These "I'm going to teach myself subject X" often have a way of blowing up in people's faces.....

Take ochem II instead of writing a DAT done thread with a 17 ochem score and advising people to never make the mistake of taking the DAT w/o ochem II.

Just curious.. When you guys are talking about orgo I and II, are you referring to semesters I and II or orgo?? At my school we go by quarter so we have orgo I, II, III. So what then would be equivalent of 1 semester or orgo?

Let me put it ot you like this: I am entering my senior year of College. The summer before my Junior year, I was going to take orgo during the summer (for the first time). I took the first 3 weeks of the first sumemr session, did "alright" (had a B+/A-)....but since I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, I panicked and didn't watn to risk not getting an A in teh summer, so I dropped it before the dropping deadline. I planned on taking the class starting in teh fall of '08. HOWEVER, due to some bull**** technicality at my school, I was not able to take Orgo I during the fall, and since orgo I is ONLY offered during the fall at my school, I was essentailly screwed b/c I planned on taking my DAT's this summer. I am good at Science, in general (BCP: 3.83 at a top 30 science/engineering oriented university), so I told myself I could teach it to myself before the exam. Everybody was telling me "dude, orgo is SOOOOO hard, you HAVE to take it before the exam, or yo'ull fail."

I started studying fo the DAT's in mid April, however, I only started studying Bio and Chem. I wanted to make sure my bio and chem scores wer ehigh enough so that in the event that I not do well in the Orgo section, those two scores would compensate for it in my TS/AA. I actually started stduying orgo a week and a half ago. I have Destroyer, destoryer oddessey, Exam Krackrs Ogo, and Kaplan BB. EAch day I did one chapter in Ekrackers, then after reading each chapter 3 times, I woudl go to Kaplan, find the corresponding subjects...and write in the margins of the Ekrackrs book information that it missed. I did htis for every chapter. Then I did all the questions in the Oddesey (it's GOLD,btw..i advise taht everybody geti t). I did every question and read every descritption. THEN, i did the regular destoroyer and went over each quetion/answer two times (I did all of this in one week..with very little prior orgo knowlege from last summer). Now, I'm taking my TOPSCORE/AChiever pratice tests and I'm getting in the 20's every time.

What you should take out of this is the following: Ochem on the DAT is NOT nearly as hard as the Ochem in real life. The qeutions times are basic...you can teach it to yourself iyou ahve the right mind for it. Right now, I know more ochem than a lot of my friends who are Chem majors atschool. If you take the time to study teh right materials...you can teach it to yourself easily. Examkrackers words things VERY Well..if you complimetn that w/ kaplan BB and Destroyer..you're golden.

Don't listen to what other people are telling you...most people are "haters." Especially here, where they have incentive for you to NOT take the DAt now....and NOT apply now when they're applying. so, take everything they say with a grain of salt. If you feel you are capable to taching yourself the info....then you can do it. All you need is time and discipline.

I'm planning to take the dat this summer (I just finished my second year), and I have not taken ochem III (quarter system). I've taken a couple of practice tests and have not faced any significant challenges. So I don't think you have too much to worry about. Ochem on the DAT seems pretty straightforward. But I guess I won't I have any truly valuable insight until after a take test in a couple of months... I just thought I'd share my relevant situation.

Hello Everyone,

DAT orgo is not real life orgo. It does, however, include a number of trick questions which you have no hope of nailing if you haven't done orgo2 - I'm assuming you'll get the simple orgo2 questions correct.

This is why the previous poster, who said "ignore these guys," was pulling down a 19. If you're on SDN, chances are you have aspirations beyond a 19.