Taking the DAT the third time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ULTRON

No Food And Drinks in Lab
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would taking the DAT the third time affect my chances of getting?

First time: AA/Sc/PAT: 17/16/14
Second time: AA/Sc/PAT: 18/18/18

Reasons for the low scores: Was a full time student, 16+ hours, not enough time to study.

I'm free during the summer, so I'll do MUCH better.

I may get into my state schools (UIC, SIU) with the 18s, but I want apply to UOP. My GPA is 3.3 (overall), and 3.8 (Science), major electrical engineering.

thanks
ULTRON

Members don't see this ad.

ULTRON Reasons for the low scores: Was a full time student said:
I'm sorry, but that is an utterly poor excuse. I do mean to come off strong in this regard, because practically EVERYONE applying to dental school is either full time (with most of us taking 20ish credits a semester), married with kids and a full time job while taking night courses, or completely foreign to the science cirriculum. To say that you were a full time student (and even if you worked during your education) is a poor way to blame "low" test scores on something else.

This excuse would NEVER fly with any adcoms.

That said, your second scores are fairly good. But since you want to get into UOP, they are poor (only for UOP, and the other DAT heavy schools). If you really want UOP, go ahead and take it a third time, but you HAVE to do well on them that time around.

In addition, call the admissions office! They're the ones who make the decision and know what the deal is. Not us.