Taking the DAT While taking summer courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoLLy1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm just curious to know if anyone has taken the DAT while taking summer courses in undergrad? If so, was it doable? Were your scores good? Did you find time to study for the DAT aside from your studying for the summer courses? I'm also looking for opinions on doing this. I want to take the DAT in summer of 2010, but I'm also planning on taking four summer courses, 2 each summer term. I would like to take the DAT sometime in July, or at the latest in August. I'm just worried because I've read posts where some say they use their whole summer to concentrate solely on studying for the DAT. Well let me know if you think it's doable! Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

What classes are you taking? If the classes help reinforce the information required for the DAT, then it could be beneficial. If you're taking classes like philosophy, accounting, economics, etc., then that could present a problem.

I would only take 2 classes and use the extra time to study for the DAT hardcore. Yes if you are taking science classes there will be overlap but the class will give you more info than you need to know for the DAT. Because of that it would be more efficient to study from the DAT books than to learn the same material from a class. I would set aside a little more than a month to study for the DAT if not two.

Members don't see this ad :)
studied during the semester with 16 credits - summer is more than acceptable to study for the DAT.

I did it! I took the DAT last summer, at the end of August, the weekend before fall classes began. Basically, summer classes ended on a Thursday, I had out-of-town guests that weekend, then worked a regular 40-hour week and took the DAT on the following Saturday morning... and went back to school that Tuesday. :) I barely had time to study, which is nothing to brag about, but neither are my scores!

The classes I took during the summer helped me with the DAT, though -- I retook Organic Chemistry in the first half and took Cell Biology in the second half (this was a GREAT idea). I ended up getting a 22 on the Bio section, GC 18, OC 17, Total science 19. A 22 isn't super-high for the other sections, but my score report said it was in the 95th percentile for Bio, so I was pretty stoked. :D

I didn't practice RC at all... pianoed out a 21; didn't practice QR or PA very much 16/16; academic average was 19. I didn't get accepted this year, so I may retake it if I have an extra $205 lying around, plus extra $$ to buy Destroyer and Crack the PAT (never knew about those when I took it; I only used the Kaplan book).

Reactions: 1 user
I did it! I took the DAT last summer, at the end of August, the weekend before fall classes began. Basically, summer classes ended on a Thursday, I had out-of-town guests that weekend, then worked a regular 40-hour week and took the DAT on the following Saturday morning... and went back to school that Tuesday. :) I barely had time to study, which is nothing to brag about, but neither are my scores!

The classes I took during the summer helped me with the DAT, though -- I retook Organic Chemistry in the first half and took Cell Biology in the second half (this was a GREAT idea). I ended up getting a 22 on the Bio section, GC 18, OC 17, Total science 19. A 22 isn't super-high for the other sections, but my score report said it was in the 95th percentile for Bio, so I was pretty stoked. :D

I didn't practice RC at all... pianoed out a 21; didn't practice QR or PA very much 16/16; academic average was 19. I didn't get accepted this year, so I may retake it if I have an extra $205 lying around, plus extra $$ to buy Destroyer and Crack the PAT (never knew about those when I took it; I only used the Kaplan book).

Wow! You have totally motivated me!! Not only did you have classes, but you had so much more other things on your plate as well! The scores were actually great considering everything else you were doing! I will definately keep this in mind to have the drive to do it. I also will be purchasing the Crack DAT (I saw it on amazon)...lol. Also to answer everyones question I will be taking science courses. one will be organic chem.II and I will be fresh out of Organic I spring semester. General Bio is my best subject. So I know I'll do good there. I know that drive, motivation, and hard work can get you through anything if you really want it, but sometimes I just want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head. Thanks everyone!

&Billythe Echidna, Good job!:thumbup::D

Wow! You have totally motivated me!! Not only did you have classes, but you had so much more other things on your plate as well! The scores were actually great considering everything else you were doing! I will definately keep this in mind to have the drive to do it. I also will be purchasing the Crack DAT (I saw it on amazon)...lol. Also to answer everyones question I will be taking science courses. one will be organic chem.II and I will be fresh out of Organic I spring semester. General Bio is my best subject. So I know I'll do good there. I know that drive, motivation, and hard work can get you through anything if you really want it, but sometimes I just want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head. Thanks everyone!

&Billythe Echidna, Good job!:thumbup::D

Thank you, Molly1988, that made my day!! :D You seem to have a great attitude and that will definitely take you places! I'm very happy that I was able to motivate you with my story.

Taking Organic II right beforehand is a wise move. Good luck!

Wow, I kind of did the same thing. I took 3 courses during the summer, organic 2, art and human anatomy. I studied about 3-4 hrs a day in the beginning but gradually started studying 5-7 hrs 3 weeks beforehand. I took the exam Aug 23, the friday before fall classes started. I definitely was really relaxed over the summer, I probably couldve also got a job because I spent most of my nights hanging out with other ppl that also stayed for summer courses. I also did nothing on the weekends.
umm i also got 22 in bio LOL 21 in orgo and 20 in gen chem
21 in PAT RC 17 (ehh) and QR 19

i reviewed the kaplan book and dat destroyer. I also got crack dat pat.. the middle version lol and achiever. these really really helped me.
i actually did not prepare to do well on the DATs so i did not submit my AADSAS until after I took the exam. My only advice to you is to start aadsas early and make the schools wait for your DAT scores. you will do GREAT!