Taking the EPPP Early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

psychddd

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to take the EPPP before graduating? If so, what state did you go through? (feel free to PM)

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone been able to take the EPPP before graduating? If so, what state did you go through? (feel free to PM)
People who do that are in States / applying for license in states that require the EPPP for a masters level license (TX, NC, etc.), such as the LPA. Unless something has changed (which I doubt), you cant otherwise because to take for a doctoral level they require verification of internship completion + program completion.

Reactions: 1 user
People who do that are in States / applying for license in states that require the EPPP for a masters level license (TX, NC, etc.), such as the LPA. Unless something has changed (which I doubt), you cant otherwise because to take for a doctoral level they require verification of internship completion + program completion.
This is how you do it (in the states). It requires some extra $ and work to fill out the applications, but you could get it done early if you really want to. I decided not to - I took it early in postdoc and it worked out fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! You can apply for a master’s level license that requires the EPPP. You will need to pass at the higher level (LP level) the first time or possibly wait to retake after internship depending on the state. A few states offer this and you do not need to physically be in state to put in the application and get approved to take the EPPP at a location near you. As far as I know Kansas is the easiest and most affordable application.

Yes! You can apply for a master’s level license that requires the EPPP. You will need to pass at the higher level (LP level) the first time or possibly wait to retake after internship depending on the state. A few states offer this and you do not need to physically be in state to put in the application and get approved to take the EPPP at a location near you. As far as I know Kansas is the easiest and most affordable application.

I do not believe that Kansas will approve you sitting for the exam until you have begun postdoc. They have a temporary license option, but it requires attestation from a postdoc supervisor.

Regarding Kansas

"In Kansas, an applicant is not permitted to sit for the examination until they make application and the board determines that the applicant satisfies the educational requirements. You may apply for licensure even though you have not completed the 1800 hours of post-doctoral supervision and be eligible for the temporary LP license. You will need to submit with your application an attestation from your postdoctoral supervisor or the person who will be your postdoctoral supervisor"

"The educational requirements for psychology licensure are contained in K.S.A. 74-5310 (a) (3) and defined in K.A.R. 102-1-12. The board has adopted educational standards that are consistent with APA at the time your degree was conferred; the board will accept your education as satisfying the statutory requirement if you have graduated from an APA program and met the minimum 24 semester credit hour, or the academic equivalent, residency requirement."

It doesn't seem like its the norm for states to allow early access to the EPPP in a manner similar to what Kansas does. Is there something unusual about Kansas that they allow this?

I took the EPPP after graduating but prior to doing any postdocs. I registered in Michigan because I needed a postdoc in my current state to take the exam. Michigan was an easy process and I think they have a master's option too.

Kansas doesn't.

Apparently they do. I looked up the info you previously posted and found more info in their FAQ section.

"Q. How do I get approved to sit for the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP)?
A. You should submit a complete licensure application to the Board office at least eight weeks prior to the date you wish to register for the examination. Once the BSRB approves your application, you will be instructed on how to register for the exam. The exam is given by PES not the BSRB." Master's Level Psychologists FAQ - BSRB

Apparently they do. I looked up the info you previously posted and found more info in their FAQ section.

"Q. How do I get approved to sit for the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP)?
A. You should submit a complete licensure application to the Board office at least eight weeks prior to the date you wish to register for the examination. Once the BSRB approves your application, you will be instructed on how to register for the exam. The exam is given by PES not the BSRB." Master's Level Psychologists FAQ - BSRB

I stand corrected. Same caveat applies as Texas, lower cut score, so make sure you get a high enough score for psych licensure if you don't want to retake it in the future.

You would be applying for the Master’s level licensure, not the LP, for Kansas or Texas.

It is absolutely allowed in both states.

It doesn't seem like its the norm for states to allow early access to the EPPP in a manner similar to what Kansas does. Is there something unusual about Kansas that they allow this?
There are several states with Master’s level licensure with different titles.

Members don't see this ad :)
WisNeuro, thanks for the clear and immediate reminder why I don’t post on this board. I have relevant experience and advice for the OP. You don’t, but you still jumped in to contradict my suggestion. Then, when corrected, you paraphrased the information I already shared as though it was your own unique advice.

THIS is how men interact with women on this board. Which is why THIS is often a terrible forum for ECP’s and female psychologists. If there are ECP’s and/or female psychologists that would like suggestions on great consultation and professional development groups where this behavior is actively discouraged, send me a pm!

Not to mention, I have repeatedly asked you to not respond to or debate with me on this forum. Kindly leave me alone.

Last edited:
WisNeuro, thanks for the clear and immediate reminder why I don’t post on this board. I have relevant experience and advice for the OP. You don’t, but you still jumped in to contradict my suggestion. Then, when corrected, you paraphrased the information I already shared as though it was your own unique advice.

THIS is how men interact with women on this board. Which is why THIS is often a terrible forum for ECP’s and female psychologists. If there are ECP’s and/or female psychologists that would like suggestions on great consultation and professional development groups where this behavior is actively discouraged, send me a pm!

Not to mention, I have repeatedly asked you to not respond to or debate with me on this forum. Kindly leave me alone.

I know I'm living all rent free in your head and all, but where do I send requests for repairs?

I actually do have relevant experience in this area, having lived in or been licensed in the states discussed. And, when pointed out the masters level rules which differ from LP rules, I acknowledged my error immediately. Seriously, get over yourself. IF you don't want people to respond to general inquiries, feel free to stop posting or ignore it. I respond to many posts. Deal with it, or don't, Not really my problem.

I know I'm living all rent free in your head and all, but where do I send requests for repairs?

I actually do have relevant experience in this area, having lived in or been licensed in the states discussed. And, when pointed out the masters level rules which differ from LP rules, I acknowledged my error immediately. Seriously, get over yourself. IF you don't want people to respond to general inquiries, feel free to stop posting or ignore it. I respond to many posts. Deal with it, or don't, Not really my problem.
You did not have relevant knowledge to answer the question, which was clear from the 3 comments you made that were incorrect. My original comment you chose to debate clearly stated “Master’s level”, no one should have had to follow up and correct you.

Your opinion is not needed on every thread. There is no reason to blame shift when this is pointed out to you.

You did not have relevant knowledge to answer the question, which was clear from the 3 comments you made that were incorrect. My original comment you chose to debate clearly stated “Master’s level”, no one should have had to follow up and correct you.

Your opinion is not needed on every thread. There is no reason to blame shift when this is pointed out to you.
This is unfortunately common in this forum; I’ve pointed out the same behavior, and yes, you and I know this experience well from other contexts. Usually people who have the correct info chime in later, if you can wait for their answers.

Some call it out, some choose to ignore it altogether, and some pick and choose when to say something. @WisNeuro also shares helpful info at times when he knows the answers, so it’s a mixed bag we get in the forum.

Psychologists are not above repeating the same patterns we see elsewhere. Indeed, receptivity to feedback varies greatly in here, I’ve found, and as you can see in this thread. I hope that people continue to speak up when this happens, as you have done rather than not speak up at all and leave the forum.

Reactions: 1 users
For goodness sakes folks,

People are allowed to say and comment on whatever posts they want. If you don't like it or disagree with the message or tone, you can say so to your heart's content. To assume gender, and to assume a variety of other things about them or their motives because you think the poster may be male vs female is just silliness. If we have evidence of inappropriate or sexist commenting, let SDN moderators know. Otherwise, let's move on and act like adults who have their big-boy/girl scientific panties on, please!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mod Note: Let's please get back on topic, folks, and "treat others with kindness and respect" as per the SDN Membership Agreement. We can all do well to remember that being forthright and being kind/respectful are not mutually exclusive.

And yes, if there are concerns about posts, members are encouraged to report them, with those reports then going to the entire moderating team.

Reactions: 1 users
For goodness sakes folks, Sac up!

People are allowed to say and comment on whatever posts they want. If you don't like it or disagree with the message or tone, you can say so to your heart's content. To assume gender, and to assume a variety of other things about them or their motives because you think the poster may be male vs female is just silliness. If we have evidence of inappropriate or sexist commenting, let SDN moderators know. Otherwise, let's move on and act like adults who have their big-boy/girl scientific panties on, please!
Sack up, really? So I should be more like a man on this forum? This is the most ironic response I’ve read.

You are correct, I do not know his motives for constantly arguing with my comments. However, this behavior is easily recognized as patronizing and unhelpful. Also, WisNeuro’s identity is no secret. Let’s not pretend or play devil’s advocate as a way to excuse poor behavior.

I’m pretty sure the moderator tried to steer you all back to the topic, but you had to throw shade to get the last word in before we could return to topic, right?

It’s fair to call these dynamics out as they present themselves, but the retorts on this thread are embarrassing to our field, frankly.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.