Taking the PCAT before taking Organic Chem

Started by bahmed816
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bahmed816

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unfortunately for me, before transferring to the university where I am at, I took close to no science classes. And due to conflict issues, a year of organic chemistry are my last pre-req class. The issue that I run into is that the schools that I intend on applying to require the PCAT to be submitted by a deadline; for example by December before the academic year you plan on attending.

A year of Orgo is the last set of classes I will need to take while also receiving a degree in Health Science and a minor in Bio. Basically, if I were to take the PCAT after taking Orgo, I will need to sit a year out and get in on the next cycle. Wasted time.

I talked to an adviser and he told me that I should take the PCAT before Orgo, and that Orgo is not that heavy on the PCAT. He also explained that the little bit of Organic Chemistry that is on the PCAT can be learned outside the classroom....but then a friend of mine told me I was crazy for considering that because she has already taken the PCAT and that there was a lot of Orgo. So I am not really sure what to do here.

I will have summer to review for the PCAT plus review for some of Orgo and would like to take the PCAT in fall of 2013. Good idea? Any suggestions on how to prepare myself?
 
Unfortunately for me, before transferring to the university where I am at, I took close to no science classes. And due to conflict issues, a year of organic chemistry are my last pre-req class. The issue that I run into is that the schools that I intend on applying to require the PCAT to be submitted by a deadline; for example by December before the academic year you plan on attending.

A year of Orgo is the last set of classes I will need to take while also receiving a degree in Health Science and a minor in Bio. Basically, if I were to take the PCAT after taking Orgo, I will need to sit a year out and get in on the next cycle. Wasted time.

I talked to an adviser and he told me that I should take the PCAT before Orgo, and that Orgo is not that heavy on the PCAT. He also explained that the little bit of Organic Chemistry that is on the PCAT can be learned outside the classroom....but then a friend of mine told me I was crazy for considering that because she has already taken the PCAT and that there was a lot of Orgo. So I am not really sure what to do here.

I will have summer to review for the PCAT plus review for some of Orgo and would like to take the PCAT in fall of 2013. Good idea? Any suggestions on how to prepare myself?

It's definitely not a competition to have the most difficult uphill battle, but I'm insane compared to you. I'll be taking the PCAT in 3 weeks without taking any chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, or A&P II. That's 6 courses. I also took Calculus 10 years ago. I'm learning everything through Dr. Collins and online resources.

The Chemistry section is 75%/25% Gen Chem/Organic Chem. That's only 12 questions. Bottom line, don't let anyone tell you it's gonna be impossible. You'll be juuuust fine.
 
Don't worry. I took the PCAT in July 2012 and started OChem (1st semester) in August. I used a Kaplan book to study for the PCAT. I divided the book up into sections and studied pretty much every day between May and July. I got enough OChem and Calculus review (I haven't taken Calculus for 20 years!) to do quite well on the PCAT. Just find some reliable review materials and study. You'll do fine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One more suggestion...take the PCAT in the summer. If you take it in the fall you will be busy with school and it is very stressful. I will never regret taking mine in the summer! I saw way too many students at school stressed out about taking the PCAT when they were enrolled in OChem, Physics, A and P, etc.
 
I think that most of the review books I've seen cover the orgo topics pretty well. If you study the organic review section in one of the books and do some practice problems, I think you'd do okay.
 
I took the revised PCAT this past summer. If you are not able to take organic before taking the test, you should be okay. The chemistry section was mostly general chemistry, a little organic, and very simple biochemistry. If you do not take organic before the test, be sure to study general chemistry well. I would also review naming of organic compounds (nothing too complicated) and simple mechanisms that would be taught during organic 1. Good luck!