Taking time off for out-of-state interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dalteparin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for jobs in another state, and the jobs I'm applying for are far enough away f that I'd need at least a full day off to get there, interview, and get home. What's the best way to tell my employer I need the time off? Is it OK to just tell the truth? I hardly ever get sick, and I worry that if I start calling in frequently, my coworkers will get suspicious and I may get in trouble with the boss.

Members don't see this ad.

How is the shift trading environment at your work?

Are any of these sites willing to do phone/skype interviews initially?

My experience has been that prospective employers are usually pretty respectful of your existing position, and will recognize your attempt to not mar your experience at your current position.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
just call it a personal day, what business is it of theirs? Or call in sick, aka, "sick of work".

Reactions: 1 user
Also, if all of these are in a similar metro area, could you just take a week do vacation to block off interviews/find a place to live?

I suffer from wanderlust, and I had a mentor tell me you should interview for at least one job per year to keep your skills up.

I was in a situation where my employer knew that I was looking and expected that I would eventually interview and take a job elsewhere, so I told the truth when I needed a day off for interviews. That being said, all of the places I looked at were out of state, and early in the process I would inquire about phone or Skype interview options. I found it more efficient to start with a phone interview initially, and if they were still interested, then I'd be more willing to make the trip for an on-site interview.

Reactions: 1 users

My coworkers are usually pretty flexible and I don't mind asking for trades; it's just been difficult to find people to trade with since we're understaffed. (We have some open positions that upper management won't allow us to fill.)

Yes - so far every place that's wanted to interview me has done a phone interview first. However, I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of taking a job offer from a place that I haven't seen in person.

Also, if all of these are in a similar metro area, could you just take a week do vacation to block off interviews/find a place to live?

I would love to do that, but due to the aforementioned staff shortage, it'll be a long time before I get that much time off. :(

I was in a situation where my employer knew that I was looking and expected that I would eventually interview and take a job elsewhere, so I told the truth when I needed a day off for interviews.

I have a decent relationship with my boss… maybe I will just tell him I'm looking to move on.

Just use a personal day/vacation day...none of their business what you do during that time. Sick time can be harder to use depening on your employer's rules.

Just depends on your relationship with yours boss. I will be in this situation in a year or so, and I will just be honest. I will probably block off a couple of long weekends ahead of time and work my interviews into those times so I don't have to tell the boss unless I have to.