Dalteparin

7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I'm looking for jobs in another state, and the jobs I'm applying for are far enough away f that I'd need at least a full day off to get there, interview, and get home. What's the best way to tell my employer I need the time off? Is it OK to just tell the truth? I hardly ever get sick, and I worry that if I start calling in frequently, my coworkers will get suspicious and I may get in trouble with the boss.

fauxden

7+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
just call it a personal day, what business is it of theirs? Or call in sick, aka, "sick of work".

Reactions: Dalteparin

njac

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
Now headed all the way west!
Status
Pharmacist
Also, if all of these are in a similar metro area, could you just take a week do vacation to block off interviews/find a place to live?

I suffer from wanderlust, and I had a mentor tell me you should interview for at least one job per year to keep your skills up.

pharmdarling

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How is the shift trading environment at your work?

Are any of these sites willing to do phone/skype interviews initially?
I was in a situation where my employer knew that I was looking and expected that I would eventually interview and take a job elsewhere, so I told the truth when I needed a day off for interviews. That being said, all of the places I looked at were out of state, and early in the process I would inquire about phone or Skype interview options. I found it more efficient to start with a phone interview initially, and if they were still interested, then I'd be more willing to make the trip for an on-site interview.

Reactions: Dalteparin and njac
OP
D

Dalteparin

7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
How is the shift trading environment at your work?

Are any of these sites willing to do phone/skype interviews initially?
My coworkers are usually pretty flexible and I don't mind asking for trades; it's just been difficult to find people to trade with since we're understaffed. (We have some open positions that upper management won't allow us to fill.)

Yes - so far every place that's wanted to interview me has done a phone interview first. However, I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of taking a job offer from a place that I haven't seen in person.

Also, if all of these are in a similar metro area, could you just take a week do vacation to block off interviews/find a place to live?
I would love to do that, but due to the aforementioned staff shortage, it'll be a long time before I get that much time off. :(

OP
D

Dalteparin

7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I was in a situation where my employer knew that I was looking and expected that I would eventually interview and take a job elsewhere, so I told the truth when I needed a day off for interviews.
I have a decent relationship with my boss… maybe I will just tell him I'm looking to move on.

msweph

5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
We schedule so far in advance so I would probably just throw PTO days out there to inverview.

KARM12

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
East
Status
Pharmacist
Just use a personal day/vacation day...none of their business what you do during that time. Sick time can be harder to use depening on your employer's rules.

Dred Pirate

5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2014
Status
Pharmacist
Just depends on your relationship with yours boss. I will be in this situation in a year or so, and I will just be honest. I will probably block off a couple of long weekends ahead of time and work my interviews into those times so I don't have to tell the boss unless I have to.