Taking undergrad classes with grad classes... how do schools see GPA??

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

DOCTAfoHIRE

7+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Ok so here is the situation. Im in the 'grad classes' portion of the pharmacy curriculum and plan to apply to med school this summer. However since pharmacy school does not cover the second semester of physics back in sophomore year I am taking physics II right now with all of my other grad classes. My question is how will the schools/AMCAS view this in terms of gpa. Will the grade from that class just be added to my undergrad gpa and not count for this semester? Im assuming this is the case, but it just seems slightly unfair because im taking the classes at the same time and the time im using to study for physics could be used for my other classes.

UnclePhil

7+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Couldn't that be said for... anyone? taking... any class?

Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Ok so here is the situation. Im in the 'grad classes' portion of the pharmacy curriculum and plan to apply to med school this summer. However since pharmacy school does not cover the second semester of physics back in sophomore year I am taking physics II right now with all of my other grad classes. My question is how will the schools/AMCAS view this in terms of gpa. Will the grade from that class just be added to my undergrad gpa and not count for this semester? Im assuming this is the case, but it just seems slightly unfair because im taking the classes at the same time and the time im using to study for physics could be used for my other classes.

If you are taking an undergrad class that is not required for the advanced degree it should be included in your undergrad GPA calculation.

About the Ads

DOCTAfoHIRE

7+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Couldn't that be said for... anyone? taking... any class?

No because in my situation if amcas seperates the gpas then the grades that medical schools see wont account for the fact that i was taking another class. So for example they might see a 3.5 instead of the 3.7 im actually receiving. But the 3.5 would probably be higher if physics wasnt there.

But i guess even if the gpas are seperated the schools will still see when the class was taken so it doesnt matter.

UnclePhil

7+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Are you a Pharm.D student right now or still an undergrad? If you are still an undergrad, then your current classes will still be in your undergrad GPA on your AMCAS, it won't be separated out.

DOCTAfoHIRE

7+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Are you a Pharm.D student right now or still an undergrad? If you are still an undergrad, then your current classes will still be in your undergrad GPA on your AMCAS, it won't be separated out.

Im in the fifth year of a six year program so i am considered a graduate student by the university

sector9

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Have you read the AMCAS instruction manual, which gives a number of different scenarios and the correct answer for each one?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.