Taking undergraduate classes through graduate school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudent2010

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize this may be a dumb question. I tried looking through other threads for an answer.

This year I applied as an undergraduate non-degree seeking student at Texas Tech University so that I could take upper level science courses to improve my science GPA. The problem with this is that I cannot apply as an undergraduate student because I already have a BS from another university, because of this I must apply to graduate school as a non-degree seeking student, specifically under the title “undergraduate courses only” (PGRD). What this means is that through the graduate school I could take undergraduate courses (which is exactly what I wanted to do).

My question is that if I took undergraduate courses through the graduate school would the undergraduate courses be counted towards my post-bacc GPA or would they count towards my graduate GPA?

I talked to an admission advisor from the graduate school and not even she knew the answer. She guessed that the undergraduate courses would count towards my graduate GPA. I’ve sent an e-mail to the admission advisors at Texas Tech medical school.

Here are my stats for those who wonder.
Major: Biology
Total: 3.35
BCPM: 3.28 (not really bad but not really good and more importantly not good enough for medical school)
MCAT 27 (retaking the MCAT this May.)
2 published papers as 5th Author.
Not a whole lot of EC’s. (Need to work on that!!)

Applied only to Texas schools but didn’t get in any where (I know not very smart). I am going to apply to a LOT more DO and MD schools next time.

Best Advice for people applying to medical school: ALWAYS GET YOUR PAPER WORK IN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!. Due to problems with my LOR’s I did get everything in until December!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I realize this may be a dumb question. I tried looking through other threads for an answer.

This year I applied as an undergraduate non-degree seeking student at Texas Tech University so that I could take upper level science courses to improve my science GPA. The problem with this is that I cannot apply as an undergraduate student because I already have a BS from another university, because of this I must apply to graduate school as a non-degree seeking student, specifically under the title “undergraduate courses only” (PGRD). What this means is that through the graduate school I could take undergraduate courses (which is exactly what I wanted to do).

My question is that if I took undergraduate courses through the graduate school would the undergraduate courses be counted towards my post-bacc GPA or would they count towards my graduate GPA?

I talked to an admission advisor from the graduate school and not even she knew the answer. She guessed that the undergraduate courses would count towards my graduate GPA. I’ve sent an e-mail to the admission advisors at Texas Tech medical school.

Here are my stats for those who wonder.
Major: Biology
Total: 3.35
BCPM: 3.28 (not really bad but not really good and more importantly not good enough for medical school)
MCAT 27 (retaking the MCAT this May.)
2 published papers as 5th Author.
Not a whole lot of EC’s. (Need to work on that!!)

Applied only to Texas schools but didn’t get in any where (I know not very smart). I am going to apply to a LOT more DO and MD schools next time.

Best Advice for people applying to medical school: ALWAYS GET YOUR PAPER WORK IN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!. Due to problems with my LOR’s I did get everything in until December!!!

i'm fairly certain that ALL undergraduate level courses taken after you already have your degree go towards your post-bacc gpa.

As long as they are undergraduate courses, they will add to your undergraduate GPA. If you want to increase your BCPM gpa, you should take upper division BCPM science courses. When you start doing your amcas application, you will see three different gpa's calculated - undergraduate, postbac, and graduate. The grades you get from postbac work are included in your undergrad gpa and also stands alone in your postbac gpa. Your graduate gpa is only affected by graduate courses you take. This is what I understand from looking at the amcas instruction booklet. Hope this helps.

Thanks ilovescience and zolassh for the quick answer! This clears up a lot of the confusion I was having. I guess sometimes the only thing more complicated then medicine is figuring out how to get into medical school!