Taking vacation time for rematch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GYN DOC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest when is the best time to take vacation to rematch from IM into OB.
My residency offers 2 week vacation blocks that have to either be the first two weeks of the month or the last two weeks. We also get the week of christmas or the week of new years off. You cant request your 2 wks off in december. Should i take 2weeks at the end of NOV and then at the end of June in case i have to move?

THanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would try to ask for 4 weeks off during june, and then try to schedule a very flexible/elective month in December for interviews... If not, then your plan is perfect...

I'd do as your plan describes (plus I doubt you can take all 4 weeks at the end of the year in one block, besides who wants to go all year without any vacation save for a week in December? I've done it before, but not working the hours you do during residency.) - take off two weeks in either November or January (depending on when the bulk of interviews are for OB-Gyn) and then the last two weeks of June if you need to move. Spread out nicely and gives you some time to interview. If you can also get an elective during December (do you have electives as an intern? We didn't.) with easier hours, that would be good as well.

- take off two weeks in either November or January (depending on when the bulk of interviews are for OB-Gyn) .

Most Ob/gyn interviews are in Nov/Dec, with each program offering maybe 1 in January. Mine started first weekend in Nov - really picked up the week prior to Thanksgiving. The most bang for your buck would probably be the first 2 weeks of December - especially if you happen to be looking in the Northeast where some places avoid late interviews due to weather. At least one of the programs last interview date was something like Dec 8th.
Good luck!:luck: