Taking year off between 2nd and 3rd years.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SomeRandomGuy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about taking a year off before rotations to have some extra time to work on Step I and to have a year to do some things that I regretted not doing before jumping right from undergrad to med school. As far as Step I is concerned, I would like to either take a prep course or spend about 3 full months dedicated to studying for the monster. For the rest of the time I'd like to do some research, as I've had zero experience doing anything even remotely close to bench or clinical research, and I feel this is important. I also want to dedicate some time to learning the piano, something I've always wanted to do.

Has anyone done this before? Is this even feasible?

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been thinking about taking a year off before rotations to have some extra time to work on Step I and to have a year to do some things that I regretted not doing before jumping right from undergrad to med school. As far as Step I is concerned, I would like to either take a prep course or spend about 3 full months dedicated to studying for the monster. For the rest of the time I'd like to do some research, as I've had zero experience doing anything even remotely close to bench or clinical research, and I feel this is important. I also want to dedicate some time to learning the piano, something I've always wanted to do.

Has anyone done this before? Is this even feasible?

Thanks a bunch!

A number of people take a research year after second year every year, particularly some of those hoping for uber competitive paths. So sure, you can do that. I would downplay the taking time off to learn the piano though.

During my special program orientation, we were told we had the option to pursue an MPH between years 2-3 if we so wanted. Tuition was around 7K extra + living expenses, so I guess another 20k?

Anyway, it's a nice option if one is interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can definitely take a year off, although there are some things to keep in mind:
-If you're not enrolled in school, you don't get loans, so you'd have to figure out some way to "live" (either get a job, or move back home... or perhaps you're independantly wealthy?).
-You can certainly get a paid research position for a year. There are research fellowships that you can apply for that offer a stipend ($20 - 30k) BUT most of them are 12 months long and do not offer you time off to study for the boards.

Well damn, I was really hoping to pitch the piano thing to the dean haha. As far as my financial situation is concerned, I'm probably going to get a part-time job. Although I'd like to get paid to do research, 12 months is a little bit much since I won't be able to get some other things done. On the note of Step I, I heard from a lot of people that they took it during March like everyone else before their gap year. Is it normal to take the exam in May or June instead?

You guys are great. I really appreciate the replies.

Well damn, I was really hoping to pitch the piano thing to the dean haha. As far as my financial situation is concerned, I'm probably going to get a part-time job. Although I'd like to get paid to do research, 12 months is a little bit much since I won't be able to get some other things done. On the note of Step I, I heard from a lot of people that they took it during March like everyone else before their gap year. Is it normal to take the exam in May or June instead?

You guys are great. I really appreciate the replies.

I always thought that most people took it around June b/c they'd finish school in May and then take a month or so to study. But my school runs on a totally different schedule so I can't really say much.

I just rechecked my calendar and sure enough the final block of year 2 ends on March 13th and the 1st section of year 3 begins on April 14. :(

I just rechecked my calendar and sure enough the final block of year 2 ends on March 13th and the 1st section of year 3 begins on April 14. :(

Wow that's really early. You should probably start contacting people by Nov/Dec if you want to feel out the possibility of working in a research lab.