TakingPCATS this Aug!!!!!

Started by yearof08
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

yearof08

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, i am freaing out because I am planning on taking the PCATs this august..... I have only completed my first year in college with General Chemistry I, Physics I, Microbiology and have not taken any Anatomy or Organic Chemistry. I plan to take organic chemistry I in summer session one this summer. Would it be unreasonable to try to cram all the studying in two months??
Which books are rated the highest to prepare for PCATs?
Are there any additional books on Anatomy and Organic Chemistry II to study for the exam?
Also, when is the latest i can sign up for the testing in august?

Thanks so much in advance!!
 
Have you taken Bio 1 and Calc yet? You can probably manage this if you finish Organic 1 before the PCAT and have had those classes already. You don't really have to have taken Anatomy first but it does help. Study from the Kaplan's book and it should be enough to get a decent score in that section. I ended up taking the PCAT right after OChem 1 but before OChem 2. I used a Schaum's guide for the chemistry I hadn't learned yet and it was general enough to be useful but not too specific for the exam.

The Pearson site should have the deadlines for the PCATs. I don't know them offhand.
 
I took AP Biology and AP Calculus BC in 12th grade and got a 5 in bio and a 4 in calculus... it was a year ago so it's not fresh in my memory. Can anyone give me any tips on how I should approach studying for the pcats which are in 2-4 months? I basically have to cram, but should I just buy the Dr. Collins set? I'm also very bad with vocabulary but after reading many threads, im guessing it's not very effective to buy the vocab book and memorize everything?..

Thanks in advance!
 
I took AP Biology and AP Calculus BC in 12th grade and got a 5 in bio and a 4 in calculus... it was a year ago so it's not fresh in my memory. Can anyone give me any tips on how I should approach studying for the pcats which are in 2-4 months? I basically have to cram, but should I just buy the Dr. Collins set? I'm also very bad with vocabulary but after reading many threads, im guessing it's not very effective to buy the vocab book and memorize everything?..

Thanks in advance!

I took the GRE years ago and I memorized thousands of words. For the PCAT, your time would be better spent elsewhere unless you are great in the other sections. I did improve my verbal section of the GRE by a ton by learning the vocab and I still have a pretty high powered vocab even though I studied those words more than a decade ago. For me it was completely worth it and paid off for more than just that test. When I took the PCAT, I didn't study for the verbal at all and got a 99. However, you have to factor in the time it will take to learn all those words. I think you will improve your bio, chem or math by a greater amount if you spend your time in those areas.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was looking through some practice verbal sections and i didn't recognize over half the words on there... they are words i have never seen before, not even on SATs... should i buy a the examkrackers mcat101 and start memorizing words?
Also, is the Kaplan tutoring session worth it?

Which book would you guys recommend to learn the anatomy portion by myself? (i've never taken the class..)

Thanks!