Tampa and Atlanta

Started by Gasville
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gasville

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any insights into the Tampa and Atlanta market for cardiac anesthesia, and how FL/GA are in general for anesthesiologists (malpractice cost, tort, retirement benefits). Thanks in advance!
 
I don’t feel like going into this again (just did a longer post in private forum), but a quick 1 liner - Tampa is one of the worst markets nationally in our specialty. Beautiful area, I’d have loved to live there, but the jobs are embarassing. For cardiac specifically, won’t bet you much extra than a generalist (I looked). Granted I haven’t looked in about a year, but I’d be surprised if things changed that quickly.

Interestingly, my friends in other surgical specialties tell it’s pretty bad there for them as well. Really desirable places definitely put downward pressure on salaries.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As far as tort reform- it is dead in Florida. The Florida Supreme Court removed caps for malpractice awards, declaring them "unconstitutional". Asset protection schemes are the most important method in Florida to protect personal assets against malpractice suits.
 
I've heard that west coast FL is not in the same boat as the greater Miami/FLL area as far as malpractice risk and physicians going bare in respect to malpractice. True?
 
Atlanta = Emory, AMC's, and worse. The cancer from Florida has metastasized and nodes are positive. GA needs XRT.
Is this from personal experience? How are the private Practice groups there? Pretty fair? I’ve heard about Mednax so I’m not considering that for sure. Thanks.
 
I've heard that west coast FL is not in the same boat as the greater Miami/FLL area as far as malpractice risk and physicians going bare in respect to malpractice. True?

Probably, if I had to wager an explanation it’s probably due to the makeup of the state. Florida is basically 2 states - draw a line from just south of Tampa. To the north you have a conservative, predominantly “southern” population which would help curb runaway jury liabilities.

To the south it’s totally different with snowbirds from the Northeast - think liberal, plaintiff-driven lawyers. They’re the ones that pushed the lawsuit through the FL Supreme Court and give the state a bad name. Spice in the Caribbean immigration seen in southern Florida, and you’ve got a mega liberal populace. Hence the difference.