TAMU (IS) vs Auburn (OOS) vs Ohio State (OOS)

Started by kitzsuna
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kitzsuna

TAMU c/o 2030
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! First, disclaimer that Ohio State hasn't released decisions yet, just wanted to include them in the post!

I am lucky enough to have received an acceptance to Auburn yesterday and today Texas A&M! Waiting to hear from Ohio State and Virginia-Maryland!

I would like to hear other peoples' thoughts on TAMU vs Auburn vs Ohio State. These are my top 3.

Realistically, TAMU is my top choice and there is a 99% chance that I will be attending there, I just want to do my due diligence to see if there are any perspectives I am missing before committing to a school. For reference, currently I am interested in companion exotics with an emphasis on avian veterinary medicine and plan to pursue internships/residency to become board certified in avian medicine.

TAMU pros:
Easy move
In state, significantly cheaper
Good program
Schubot center for avian research, whom I've already made connections with
New teaching hospital in 2027

Cons:
Still in Texas, far from family
Would likely have to track "alternative" which is more of a choose your own adventure in 4th year to cater towards my interests if I understand correctly

Auburn pros:
raptor center
seem to really value student wellness
Just have been very impressed with the program and hearing from current students
aquatic certification
Teaching hospital appears to regularly see exotics

Cons:
13 hour move
Expensive, cannot establish residency

Ohio State pros:
I like Ohio, and would be much closer to family
urban
access to a lot due to location
have friends in the state already

Cons:
loooonng move
Also expensive


I'm probably forgetting some stuff, but this is where I'm at. I think there are great things about all of these schools, both within the veterinary college and outside of it. I think it all around makes the most sense to attend Texas A&M, even with my career goals. While they currentIy don't see exotics really in-house, with the Schubot center I am hoping to work with their research and I will at least have to have some sort of an relationship at an exotics practice for my own pets' care. From what I understand, at the end of the day I need a DVM degree and it doesn't necessarily matter from where, and there will be ample opportunities to pursue my own interests no matter where I end up. I am just looking for some outside perspectives as I am making a decision.

Thank you to anyone who reads this and offers their input!
 
I’d choose A&M. The long term freedom afforded by the cheaper costs/less loans is major. Rotations being “choose your own adventure” is usually a good thing for motivated students because you can seek out really cool opportunities elsewhere. Exotics education even at schools that see exotics is often minimal (talking 1-2 lectures in a core course if you’re lucky, maybe a couple electives, 1-2 on-site rotations) and at places like UF there’s often more significant competition for spots in those opportunities. Exotics are on NAVLE so all schools have to hit at least highlights even if there isn’t a dedicated exotics service. I don’t think you truly would’ve missing out on anything significant or that you can’t arrange yourself your clinical year or on breaks.
 
I’d choose A&M. The long term freedom afforded by the cheaper costs/less loans is major. Rotations being “choose your own adventure” is usually a good thing for motivated students because you can seek out really cool opportunities elsewhere. Exotics education even at schools that see exotics is often minimal (talking 1-2 lectures in a core course if you’re lucky, maybe a couple electives, 1-2 on-site rotations) and at places like UF there’s often more significant competition for spots in those opportunities. Exotics are on NAVLE so all schools have to hit at least highlights even if there isn’t a dedicated exotics service. I don’t think you truly would’ve missing out on anything significant or that you can’t arrange yourself your clinical year or on breaks.
Thank you for your input! That is definitely where I am leaning as well, and I definitely consider myself motivated enough to seize any opportunities for things that come my way with regards to my interests. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i have nothing to add except as a native Ohioan i have never heard someone not from Ohio say they like it so that made me happy. that is all
I went to university of cincinnati tor undergrad and i loved it there!!! Absolutely would go back to ohio! Grew up in the DC area though 🙂
 
Ok reviving this again because in light of potential family health issues, I am wondering if it would potentially be worth it to eat the extra 100k (if my math is right? I am having trouble understanding the cost calculator with ohio state allowed residency changes) in order to be only 8 hours from family vs 21 hours.

If anyone in my family goes downhill (either elderly parents or sister with custody of 13yr old nephew from a ****show divorce) i’m not sure what i would feasibly be able to do to help anyways, but like idk. Should i be more available?

I’m the lone ranger down in texas while my entire family is up in DC. i’ve built my own life here, but i worry that by being out on my own for so long i’m losing and wasting a lot of time that i will miss in the future.
 
Family is important to me and living near them again is great, but I don’t regret the years away because they set me up for long term success. To answer your question, no, I don’t think it’s worth $100,000 to be somewhat closer but still pretty darn far away. Honestly I don’t see a lot of difference in 8 vs 21 hours away in an emergency. Of course 8 is a lot closer, but it’s still essentially an entire day’s travel whether you’re driving the 8 hours or dropping everything to fly or drive across the country from further away. Long term, I think minimizing the debt is the best thing you can do because that will give you more financial freedom for 30 years after school even if life is a little more difficult for the four short years that make up vet school.
 
Family is important to me and living near them again is great, but I don’t regret the years away because they set me up for long term success. To answer your question, no, I don’t think it’s worth $100,000 to be somewhat closer but still pretty darn far away. Honestly I don’t see a lot of difference in 8 vs 21 hours away in an emergency. Of course 8 is a lot closer, but it’s still essentially an entire day’s travel whether you’re driving the 8 hours or dropping everything to fly or drive across the country from further away. Long term, I think minimizing the debt is the best thing you can do because that will give you more financial freedom for 30 years after school even if life is a little more difficult for the four short years that make up vet school.
Thanks for your input
 
I just worry that I am losing time with my parents when they are 76
It’s a fair concern, and I’m not trying to downplay that, but your options are both far, right? Or are you considering declining both to reapply only near your family? To me it would maybe be a bigger/harder decision if one option was just an hour or two away, but either way 8 and 21 hours is a whole day of travel and not exactly “run home for a short visit” distances.

I’ve lived in a state 19 hours from home and two other states 8 and 10 hours from home. Both really require at least a long weekend or school break to visit so I guess I just don’t see a big difference.
 
It’s a fair concern, and I’m not trying to downplay that, but your options are both far, right? Or are you considering declining both to reapply only near your family? To me it would maybe be a bigger/harder decision if one option was just an hour or two away, but either way 8 and 21 hours is a whole day of travel and not exactly “run home for a short visit” distances.

I’ve lived in a state 19 hours from home and two other states 8 and 10 hours from home. Both really require at least a long weekend or school break to visit.
Virginia maryland is still on the table, but i am not super interested in attending there.

I am more thinking in terms of it would be easier for them to visit me occasionally since they don’t really fly anymore. Idk 8 hours just sounds way more feasible than 21, but you’re right it would still be a full day of travel.

Idk, i first moved away from home in 2012 to attend school in ohio, and never went back following zoo jobs across the country. So it’s been close to 15 years since i’ve been within a day’s drive and now that i have actually comes to terms with they are, in fact, old and my dad has already had cancer twice their mortality has just been really weighing on me. Especially with my sister being 30 min from them and they’ve been having to deal with the stress of her miserable divorce and insane kid, the stress has been a lot for them and i just worry a lot.
 
This is going to be real talk here. I try to be sensitive as people don't see major life emergencies the same way I do because I'm definitely more cynical/nihilistic. Please know that I don't want to downplay your concerns.

Should i be more available?

I was the person with a family emergency in my class. My younger sister died two weeks into my second year. My aunt (bad divorce, child negligence to abuse on the parts of all the parents, etc) then died during my fourth year during COVID.

In the case of a family death, there is literally no difference between 8 and 21hrs. My sister wasnt found for several days, my parents weren't called for several hours after she was found, and my parents couldn't get me until the following day. She was found on Tuesday in the afternoon and I wasn't in Colorado until Thursday afternoon. I then missed 2.5 weeks of class because of all the stuff I had to do.

A family death is never convenient. But it only would have been better had I been at CSU vs UIUC. Even being at K State wouldn't have necessarily changed anything. An 8hr drive can become a closed set of highways with bad weather, and then you're trapped wherever you are.

If someone dies, they ain't getting any deader. So there's no need to be 8 vs 21 hrs away at the expense of 100k with likely outrageous interest rates.

Idk 8 hours just sounds way more feasible than 21, but you’re right it would still be a full day of travel.

My grandparents are 76 and 82. My grandfather can no longer drive 8 hours in a row due to edema secondary to his heart failure. Depending on their core health, 8 vs 21hrs is going to be the same. And that's 21hrs driving. Flight from College Station to DC, pending layovers, may come out to the same and be less travel intensive for them.

the stress has been a lot for them and i just worry a lot.

I say this with every fiber of my being as the person who had to leave my support system after taking care of my dead sister: there's only so much you can do. There is nothing you can tangibly do for someone else's crappy divorce other than be a shoulder to lean on. There is nothing you can do about your parents ailments.

Stress sucks on family members. Always. But my then boyfriend (now husband) and parents didn't visit a ton while I was in school because there really wasn't much they could do for me. I still had to be in class, still had to be present for wet labs and group study. Etc.

At this point, you need to take care of you primarily. 100k is stupid money. And if you were to get into Virginia maryland, it would be a discussion I would be way more wishy washy about. But the difference in interest alone over the 30 year loan lifespan now will be crushing. Not enough for me, on the other side of the dead people equation, would not be able to justify. Me being at K State instead of UIUC to be there for my family wouldn't have made a difference.

Again, I don't want to come across as uncaring. I just played this game personally and now that I have hindsight, being closer wouldn't have changed anything.
 
This is going to be real talk here. I try to be sensitive as people don't see major life emergencies the same way I do because I'm definitely more cynical/nihilistic. Please know that I don't want to downplay your concerns.



I was the person with a family emergency in my class. My younger sister died two weeks into my second year. My aunt (bad divorce, child negligence to abuse on the parts of all the parents, etc) then died during my fourth year during COVID.

In the case of a family death, there is literally no difference between 8 and 21hrs. My sister wasnt found for several days, my parents weren't called for several hours after she was found, and my parents couldn't get me until the following day. She was found on Tuesday in the afternoon and I wasn't in Colorado until Thursday afternoon. I then missed 2.5 weeks of class because of all the stuff I had to do.

A family death is never convenient. But it only would have been better had I been at CSU vs UIUC. Even being at K State wouldn't have necessarily changed anything. An 8hr drive can become a closed set of highways with bad weather, and then you're trapped wherever you are.

If someone dies, they ain't getting any deader. So there's no need to be 8 vs 21 hrs away at the expense of 100k with likely outrageous interest rates.



My grandparents are 76 and 82. My grandfather can no longer drive 8 hours in a row due to edema secondary to his heart failure. Depending on their core health, 8 vs 21hrs is going to be the same. And that's 21hrs driving. Flight from College Station to DC, pending layovers, may come out to the same and be less travel intensive for them.



I say this with every fiber of my being as the person who had to leave my support system after taking care of my dead sister: there's only so much you can do. There is nothing you can tangibly do for someone else's crappy divorce other than be a shoulder to lean on. There is nothing you can do about your parents ailments.

Stress sucks on family members. Always. But my then boyfriend (now husband) and parents didn't visit a ton while I was in school because there really wasn't much they could do for me. I still had to be in class, still had to be present for wet labs and group study. Etc.

At this point, you need to take care of you primarily. 100k is stupid money. And if you were to get into Virginia maryland, it would be a discussion I would be way more wishy washy about. But the difference in interest alone over the 30 year loan lifespan now will be crushing. Not enough for me, on the other side of the dead people equation, would not be able to justify. Me being at K State instead of UIUC to be there for my family wouldn't have made a difference.

Again, I don't want to come across as uncaring. I just played this game personally and now that I have hindsight, being closer wouldn't have changed anything.
Thank you for the reality check. This was very helpful
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad