target pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yubjun

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just started training with target.. does anyone work here as an part time pharmacist??? how is it?? is it as flexable as they say their hours are??

Members don't see this ad.

i just started training with target.. does anyone work here as an part time pharmacist??? how is it?? is it as flexable as they say their hours are??

In this area, each Target has two pharmacists who are partners. They split the time between them. So, if you need a day off, you can just swap that day with your partner. You don't need to go through any other scheduling process.

I'm thinking about working for Target also after school. I know that the work environment depends on each stores but how would you characterize the culture of the company? Are they supportive of pharmacists? How about opportunities for patient care? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys....I worked for Target as an intern for 4 years and I have also provided relief work for them as an RPH. Here are a few of the problems I have witnessed with Target:

1) As an RPH it is very hard to get time off. If your partner is unable/unwilling to help out then it becomes difficult. Most Targets have a float or on-call group of part timers that are sent around to help out. There again - it depends on their schedules - most have other pharmacy jobs outside of Target.

2) Most Target pharmacies are now 9-9:00. They do have a 1/2 hour for lunch and the pharmacy is closed - however - if a patient walks up to the window at 1:28 and wants their rx filled and cannot wait or come back - you have to fill it. So if you finish filling at 1:45 you only get 15 minutes etc.. The policy for all stores is a scheduled and posted closing from 1:30 - 2:00. You are not allowed to close before that time and you must re-open on time - regardless.

3) As an intern they pay very well as compared to other retailers - it is based upon which year you are in at school. The problem I experienced was in my 4th year when I was doing rotations. Because we were on rotations during the day we were only available to work at night and on the weekends. My boss hired a bunch of interns who were in their 1-3rd years and had more availability - therefore we were getting screwed on hours.

4) Lastly - I have 1/2 dozen friends who were pharmacists for Target at one point or another and all left the company because they never felt as though they were being supported when push came to shove.

Take it for what it's worth - not a good testimonial but it's honest.

I am on rotation with some current/ex Target pharmacists. They like(d) their job with the exception of some corporate policies such as signing people for credit cards. Then again, pharmacy is a business so take it for what it's worth.

Heck...I would work at Target...if it's a new Super Target....

Can't beat the employee discount.....and good looking stay home moms shop there...:smuggrin:

A friend of mine was working for Target and left because although she had signed on as part tiem and was clear that she wanted part time, they kept scheduling her full times, often 6 or 7 days in a row. She was also at a very disorganized store apparently. But, I think her trouble could be found at any company; as has been said in the posts about CVS, a lot depends on your DM.

Heck...I would work at Target...if it's a new Super Target....

Can't beat the employee discount.....and good looking stay home moms shop there...:smuggrin:
Babes, such as myself, also shop there. They have the best deal on Amy's non-dairy frozen burritos. Their products are usually better too. One day I'll have to fill a prescription at Target so that I can "try out" their pharmacy.