Target score for step2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axeon123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scored low 220 on the step1. What is a good score to target to show them I can do well on the step exam? Someone told me it is typical to score +/- 10pts, and they won't care about it. So look to score around 240?

Members don't see this ad.

I scored low 220 on the step1. What is a good score to target to show them I can do well on the step exam? Someone told me it is typical to score +/- 10pts, and they won't care about it. So look to score around 240?

How about you try and score as high as you can possibly score given the amount of time you have to study? If you try to target a score 10 points higher than your step 1 you might end up accidentally scoring 10 points lower.

To let you know, a score of about 5-10 points higher is essentially the same score on Step 2 because the mean is higher.

You should shoot for 240s or higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, shooting for the stars falls short at the moon, still pretty impressive. That metaphor works great if you have a rocket ship. I dont. I doubt you do either.

But it is true, the average for step 2 this year in september was 230 with a SD of something like 14. Low 220s isn't a bad score, by any means. If you really want to WOW a residency with improvement, bump it up to 240ish or better.

There was a post while back on sdn that went something like this (im paraphrasing):

For Step 1:
230 Good enough to be looked at anywhere
240 Good enough to be considered seriously by any competitive residency
250 Real world stellar, meager SDN
260 SDN competitive
270 Rock star

Because the average is higher on step 2 and you are looking to wow a residency with your score to state you are a 90th percentile competitor and step 1 was a fluke, i'd add 10 points for good measure:
For Step 2:
240 Good enough to be looked at anywhere
250 Good enough to be considered seriously by any competitive residency
260 Real world stellar, meager SDN
270 SDN competitive
280 Rock star

Accurate? Probably not. I have a loose connection to three residency directors (IM, IM, Surg) and they all say 230 is a 230 and good enough for them. How truthful are they when they say that to me? I don't know. Shoot for a 250, land a 240, you will be golden. But don't be bummed if you only hit a 235.

I'm in this boat as well. I scored 228/98 on step 1 which was a huge disappointment to me given the time I spent preparing.

I think my main problem was taking the test during clinical rotations and apparently long after I hit my peak. I need to make up ground on step 2 and pray that's enough to mitigate my step 1 performance. I had hoped not to be in this stressful situation, but what can you do.