Tattoos in the OR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MikaëlMDsoontobe

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just concerned about the tattoo policy in the OR. I know that you're not allowed to wear undershirts with your scrubs but will one get kicked out for having a chest tattoo and another tattoo with a length up to the sternocleidomastoid muscles on the neck? I'm aware that a turtle neck can cover the tattoos outside of the OR, but it's inside the OR that I don't know about.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like a strange policy. Is it the OR/ hospital policy or a specific surgeon?
Well I know surgeons wear a gown so that covers up everything anyways. A premedical student in the OR for example would most likely get kicked out because of an undershirt/sleeve. Reason being, the use of a scrub is used to keep as few pathogens as possible when operating for the safety of the patient. An undershirt/sleeve isn't permitted in this case. It must be certain hospital policies. If one does have visible tattoos though, I don't know how others will react to this situation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I know surgeons wear a gown so that covers up everything anyways. A premedical student in the OR for example would most likely get kicked out because of an undershirt/sleeve. Reason being, the use of a scrub is used to keep as few pathogens as possible when operating for the safety of the patient. An undershirt/sleeve isn't permitted in this case. It must be certain hospital policies. If one does have visible tattoos though, I don't know how others will react to this situation.
I was wondering about the tattoo(s), not the undershirt. There are lots of medical folks with visible tattoos.