Taus Method and Physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpecialSauce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I was having a hard time finiding some info on how to use BRS physiology with the Taus method. I believe the method say to integrate all study/review materials into FA except for Goljan and HY Cell-Micro. However in the .doc file that outlines the Taus method he tells you where we need to annotate or add more info to FA by using an "->". For BRS physiology, the plan only lists the entire chapter. Does that mean we need to use BRS physiology like we use Goljan or do we only need to elaborate/clarify what's in FA by using BRS physiology?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello

I was having a hard time finiding some info on how to use BRS physiology with the Taus method. I believe the method say to integrate all study/review materials into FA except for Goljan and HY Cell-Micro. However in the .doc file that outlines the Taus method he tells you where we need to annotate or add more info to FA by using an "->". For BRS physiology, the plan only lists the entire chapter. Does that mean we need to use BRS physiology like we use Goljan or do we only need to elaborate/clarify what's in FA by using BRS physiology?

Thanks

In my opinion, the "taus method" was meant to serve as a guideline, not a blueprint. Although following his schedule down to the finest detail may work for some, I think for the vast majority of people, they learn to adopt his study method and make it their own. I say this b/c I think too many ppl get caught up in trying to follow his schedule and forget that everyone learns differently and each has their own strength and weakness. With that said, if you feel like you're strong in physiology, then you may only need to read it once and annotate/clarify in the relevant sections in FA. If not, it may serve you well to read it several times; the same goes for RR Path although I think no one could ever read that book enough. Overall, I followed the Taus plan pretty closely but there were a few areas in which I kind of did my own thing. Again, this depends on your own strengths and weaknesses but I thought that reading HY Cell/Mol. bio a week before the exam was enough; anymore would be overkill. I also read HY Neuro. cover-to-cover and felt like that extra bit of detail/context helped me pickup some of the more difficult neuro. questions on the test.

In my opinion, the "taus method" was meant to serve as a guideline, not a blueprint. Although following his schedule down to the finest detail may work for some, I think for the vast majority of people, they learn to adopt his study method and make it their own. I say this b/c I think too many ppl get caught up in trying to follow his schedule and forget that everyone learns differently and each has their own strength and weakness. With that said, if you feel like you're strong in physiology, then you may only need to read it once and annotate/clarify in the relevant sections in FA. If not, it may serve you well to read it several times; the same goes for RR Path although I think no one could ever read that book enough. Overall, I followed the Taus plan pretty closely but there were a few areas in which I kind of did my own thing. Again, this depends on your own strengths and weaknesses but I thought that reading HY Cell/Mol. bio a week before the exam was enough; anymore would be overkill. I also read HY Neuro. cover-to-cover and felt like that extra bit of detail/context helped me pickup some of the more difficult neuro. questions on the test.

i agree with you.. i only have 3 weeks to go and i'm not able to move ahead in the taus method!!! just trying to cover the material in a way or another!!!

Referring to the Taus method specifically, does it assume that you have 10 weeks off with no classes? I'm not sure which school has such a large break between 2nd and 3rd year but we definitely do not. We have a 4-5 week window of off-time between 2nd and 3rd year to study and take the test. That said, do people start the 1st run through of the Taus method while in class?

Now generall speaking, Taus method or something else, how long do most of you get off to prepare strictly for boards only. Thanks

The method is based on 10 weeks for 3 full runs through the material plus the last 2 weeks. That is ideal, but not necessary if you have a decent base.

Most schools have 4-6 weeks, so you either start early or go through it 2 times and the two weeks at the end.

If you only have 3 weeks left, go through it starting with your weak areas in the systems section.