Tax deductible pharmacy conventions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ShockingPurple

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm compiling all my tax paperwork and I was unsure if other students or even pharmacists have ever tried submitting pharmacy conventions as a tax deductible school expense? Wasn't sure if it could count or not.
 
So I'm compiling all my tax paperwork and I was unsure if other students or even pharmacists have ever tried submitting pharmacy conventions as a tax deductible school expense? Wasn't sure if it could count or not.

Personally, I would do it if I had an intern job sometime that year and I didn't receive any documented payment for the convention either from school, school loans, or employer.

You may need to forego the standard deduction (not sure) .. if this is true , taxes are going to be a lot more work and ultimately it may not be worth it.

You shouldn't really be owing much if any tax as a student ( I claimed exempt every year) so the value of the deduction is questionable for that reason alone)

If you made > 20, 000 then it may be a different story.
 
Yeah, I usually claim it as a tax-deduction and educational/professional expense, same for CE credits/dinners, etc. Also mileage driving to per-diem job.

And whenever you go travelling, stop by a hospital and ask for a paper job application, fill it out, keep a copy for yourself and claim the trip for a job interview. This is getting harder to do since so many ****ing hospitals are not doing the paper applications anymore and just go via online applications.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you don't have a business filing Schedule C, then you would have to itemize deductions, so your total deductions would have to exceed the standard deduction to get any benefit ($6,100 for singles). You probably won't exceed this as a student.

Furthermore, I believe the costs of going to a convention are in a category where only the amount that exceeds 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income is deductible. So for pharmacists with AGI ~$110k, the first $2,200 is not deductible. You can go ahead and submit receipts and everything to your accountant, but probably they will not be included on your tax return.