taxcrastination question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rhornblower

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, hoping someone here can help me out. The only income I had this past year was from a summer preceptorship stipend - $500 per month for 2 months. I did the preceptorships through 2 different programs, so each was under the $600 cutoff for sending me a 1099-WISC form, but according to the programs it's still gross taxable income. Do I report this income as "business" income? It's not like I have a business... anyone done this?
 
You may get better traffic over in financial aid.

I wouldn't worry about it.
 
I believe this is reportable as regular income (wages, salaries, etc. - top line on the 1040), but I'm not an accountant.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a grant for research last summer and I got a 1099-MISC. When I researched it, it was not considered a self-run business. There's a category for "Other income not reported elsewhere". That's where I put it and I'm 99% sure that's right.

If I remember correctly, it was not considered under the Business section because it was a one-time event (not sustained for a period time).
 
I got a grant for research last summer and I got a 1099-MISC. When I researched it, it was not considered a self-run business. There's a category for "Other income not reported elsewhere". That's where I put it and I'm 99% sure that's right.

If I remember correctly, it was not considered under the Business section because it was a one-time event (not sustained for a period time).

I recieved a random one time income on a 1099 misc too and thats how I filed it. It wasn't a grant, it was a check from a pharm company in appreciation for my work to salvage their study post katrina, but I'd assume it would work the same way for any one time income that wasn't a "wage" that you get a W2 for.