TBH, I'm not sure if I should do this or nor

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chocolate__shoulders24

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I'm currently thinking of what I want to do with the rest of my life, I'm 23 years old, I'm an optical technician at Costco, and tbh I considering going back to school to become at optometrist, I have my ABO & NCLE so I feel I have a very basic concept in the optical field , but I will be basically starting from scratch, I only have like a semester of community college under my belt that I took when I was 19, & I would still like to keep my full time hours at Costco as an optician while I go to school. Kinda figure I'll be done with school by the time I'm like 35, 36 maybe, is that too late?? This is all really new to me , so any help? Please? lol how's med school like, will I be able to shuffle a full time job with that, do you recommend it? Thanks!
 
I'd highly recommend shadowing a couple of optometrists for a day or a week. If not shadowing see if they'll let you interview them for a 30 minute session. Seek out optometrists that are highly pleased with optometry, but also talk to optometrists that are unhappy. You'll discover wide satisfaction ranges, but the unhappy ones will definitely give you a wide perspective of why they miserable with themselves or the profession.
 
I'd highly recommend shadowing a couple of optometrists for a day or a week. If not shadowing see if they'll let you interview them for a 30 minute session. Seek out optometrists that are highly pleased with optometry, but also talk to optometrists that are unhappy. You'll discover wide satisfaction ranges, but the unhappy ones will definitely give you a wide perspective of why they miserable with themselves or the profession.

Good advice. Talk to OD's in commercial, medical optometry (usually OD/MD groups), vision therapy, and general private practice. You need to have a truthful perspective when pursuing this profession. Ask them this: Would YOU go into optometry if you were my age, in 2017? Why or why not?